Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

frequency out of range. install dual boot. windows updates the cause?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:18 AM

my computer is a dell demension 8200 and it has a video card, but the device manager shows no problems.

i am installing a dual boot with xp and ubuntu. everything is going fine. the installations went ok. i had internet in both os's and was able to boot and restart in any combination of os's. so i started installing microsoft updates.
i got partially through the ie8 updates. just before they ask about accelerators and a default search provider (i actually know the routine now). it was restarting and would have been to that part next, but it never got there. while it was booting, right after the grub screen i chose xp it happens right after the windows xp screen with the progress bar that goes across the screen a few times.
and the screen turned black then i got this message all by itself on the monitor.

frequency out of range
HF 83.74KHz
Vf 159.43Hz

i am able to get into ubuntu just fine. it only happens when i try to go into windows xp and right after the windows xp screen with the progress bar that goes across the screen a few times.

after that the little light on the monitor turned from green (on) to brown (standby/sleep).
i decided to try "last known good configuration". so far that seems to have fixed it. why, what does it do? what changes does "last known good configuration" do when it's used? sure, i like the fix, but not an "unknown" fix. :thumbsup:

i have resumed installing windows updates. it remains to be seen how they will go and how well the computer will work when i'm done.
i'm here asking for info. i don't like the idea of an issue that can kill the computer without warning. any links, tutorials, forums, or tidbits of info about why this happened would be most appreciated.
thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:41 AM

Dell 8200 as well as most GX series computers will do this if the automatic driver adjustment sets the resolution to something the monitor cannot see.

Usually pressing f-8 and choosing VGA mode will let you change the res and reboot. Safe mode will let you change the res but will not save it.

#3 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

Ken-in-west-seat...,

if i choose to use "choosing VGA mode will let you change the res and reboot", am i going into an area of no retreat (as of now the computer works). could i still use "last known good configuration" to return to the previous state? i don't like the thought of doors locking behind me.
thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users