Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Flash Player

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:59 AM

Hi Guys. Every time I open a new window or open my emails, I get a message that Adobe Flash Player needs to be loaded, so I accept.

I have Adobe loaded so why am I asked to continue to load, It's getting to be a real newsence.

Thanks for your help.
Eddee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:57 AM

I might be wrong...but...

Loading...is not the same thing as installing.

As part of system security, I get messages anytime a website has code which suggests Flash, with the option of allowing it to run or not run. On some pages, it doesn't make a difference, on some...the links won't work unless Flash is enabled.

Ditto for ActiveX.

FWIW, quote from Wiki:

"Symantec's Internet Security Threat Report[62] states that a remote code execution in Adobe Reader and Flash Player[63] was the second most attacked vulnerability in 2009. The same report also recommends to employ browser add-ons wherever possible to disable Adobe Flash Player when visiting untrusted sites. McAfee predicts that Adobe software, especially Reader and Flash, will be the primary target for attacks in 2010[64]. Adobe applications had already become the most popular client-software targets for attackers during the last quarter of 2009[65]."

Louis

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:17 AM

Are you using Firefox?

#4 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

Hi All, thanks for your quick reply.

I'm using IE. frank,

hamluis so I gather that I should delete Adobe flash player alltogether is that right?.
Eddee

#5 bwest0703

bwest0703

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

I'm not one to suggest using specific web browsers, but Mozilla Firefox has an add-on that can prevent scripts from running in the background as Louis has mentioned in his quote from Symantec. Check out No-script which can be found here:

http://noscript.net/

Also, uninstalling Flash could prevent a rather large amount of websites from working properly. I'm not sure I would recommend going that route as Flash has swiftly became very popular on the web.

With regards,

bwest0703
Posted Image

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:52 PM

I have Flash installed...but I don't let it run on every website and I have my security posture such that scripts are not run automatically.

I don't get concerned when websites don't work properly...but it can be necessary to have Flash installed at certain sites.

Just because Flash...and IE...and java...and so on...have vulnerabilities which are known...that's not a reason to abandon those tools, IMO. That' why IE and java and Flash Player routinely kick out updated versions and critical updates...to allow users to employ their tools...safely.

Louis

#7 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:03 AM

G/day thank you both for your input , most valuable
I now know what to do

Thank you , you people on this forum are great. :thumbsup: