Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp hanging on boot/pci device list

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 boofie75

boofie75

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:56 PM

Tonight I was on my computer, and things were working fine. I shut it down and a half hour later turned it back on, and now it hangs while displaying "pci device listing", more specifically, "acpi controller". The cursor will blink about 3 times and then disappear. I went into the BIOS setup and set it to boot from my xp upgrade disc, and it accesses the disc, but I can't just boot from it, I can only enter recovery console, which takes me to a Dos prompt, or setup Windows.

I am getting the feeling thqt any further tinkering on my part could be dangerous so I'm stopping there and looking to the experts first. I can't enter safe mode as it does not give me the chance to. Any help would be appreciated. I have an asus a8n5x motherboard (on an unrelated note - the word "reliability" is incorrectly misspelled as "reliabilty" on the motherboard's splash screen).

Edited by boofie75, 07 July 2010 - 11:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

I would disconnect, reconnect the drive...and ensure that it is properly reflected in the main BIOS screen and the boot options.

I would also run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic (long, not short, test) on the drive.

As for the spelling error...I think that's not unusual since many of these components are not made in countries where English is the native language...and the Internet has done it's share to promote mispellings and inappropriate language usage :thumbsup:. I find misspellings all the time in manuals and component documentation.

Also...ensure that you don't have any USB devices (external drives) in an "on" state when trying to boot.

Louis

#3 boofie75

boofie75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:00 PM

Thank you for your response. My dad is a computer person and unplugged and plugged the hard drive, removed the usb devices and ran a program called hirens 9.7 and the scan of the drive turned out ok, but my dad says the mbr may be bad, and he can't find the mbr repair tool he had on an older version of hirens. Using the disc he was able to boot windows, but it showed a bsod on each boot with an 0be code. I looked it up and I read that these are usually driver related. I recently installed a driver for a midi device and now I'm wondering if thats the problem, but I can't get to it with a bsod.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

Basic reference on STOP errors/BSODs: http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm.

I think you meant "8E", not BE STOP error.

Your dad can run the fixmbr command from the XP Recovery Console, if he thinks that will solve it.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

References for Fixmbr Command

Louis

#5 boofie75

boofie75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:23 PM

Thanks to both of you, Windows is up and running. I appreciate the help!

Edited by boofie75, 11 July 2010 - 06:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users