Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you run an operating system via LAN with no HDD?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The-Blob

The-Blob

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:50 PM

Hi, I was just wondering if there was a way to run an operating system (like XP or something) on a computer but with no Hard Drive. I'm not talking about bootable live CD's, but a way to "stream" it through the LAN.

There is no real need for me to do it, although I have a few computers with failing hard drives and plus I would just like to learn how to do this.

I have seen schools that do this with all their computers, that way they only have to install programs on the main server and it automatically goes to all the student PC's. I have an old computer I use as a server and it would only be serving like one computer OS via network.

How is this possible and how do I set up a system like this? (For free, of course)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

Here have a read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

Terminal services, ctirix, and all other forms of thin client/server setups are possible. Most use either RDP or their own propritary client to facilitate this. Keep in mind these thin clients are designed just for this and still have software on them but it is coded onto flash memory. using terminal services or RDp via a regular PC still requires a hard drive or other storage device to load an OS or the thin client software.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 The-Blob

The-Blob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for trying to help, but I don't have any thin clients, and besides those still have to have some type of drive. :huh:

This one school I went to a while ago, you just hit the power button and it said something about booting from DHCP or whatever and it would take off and load Windows, and if you pulled out the ethernet cord, the whole thing would freeze, and if you plugged it back in it would start running again,

Sure enough, these computers had no drives in them. I know this is possible, somebody has to know how to do this! Come on, smart people! lol :thumbsup:

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

Well I found some interesting stuff from Microsoft. I havn't used it but it appears to allow what you want. Use PXE to boot via the LAN and "load" and OS. I haven't looked into the requirements but i would guess it will require a version of sever to be deployed one. Below is a link to the info and software.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003...si/default.mspx
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users