Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Update

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 ieomdayt

ieomdayt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:48 PM

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

The messege above is received when trying to open Windows Update. I use Windows XP with IE8 and SP3. I have two computers, and the other one is fine. Both have adequate file space. Together there connected with a cable modem and router.

This morning, sound wasn't working for any mp3, avi, flv, etc. files, regardless of the player being used. I currently have GOM, VLC, REAL w/SP, WIN-MEDIA. When attempting to play an audio or video file on GOM, I receive the following messege. "This system does not have sound devices, or sound devices does not installed properly" My desktop toolbar has also been affected. It went from blue to light gray, and the font may be a little different. I found info for a "LUNA" fix and it got my desktop back to a blue toolbar at the bottom, however, as soon as I tried to open Windows Update, it reverted back to the gray color. Other websites open fine. Up until now, I've stayed up to date with Windows Updates. I've tried disabling/enabling all the Add-Ons, tried all Compatibity Settings, shutting down Windows Firewall, shutting down Avast Anti-Virus, running Advanced System Care (I downloaded this yesterday), updating my Flash Player, running Glary Utilities, refreshing all pages when it seemed to be necessary, adding all download sites to the 'Trusted Sites' list, Clearing History, making sure 'Mute' is not checked in the Sounds and Audio Devices icon, rebooting the computer numerous times, foul language, uploading Firefox as my new browser, removing Firefox and going back to IE8, removing Windows Audio Codec Essentials, reinstalling Windows Audio Codec Essentials, closing and opening windows pop-up blocker and smart screen filter. Basically, all the stuff I could find related to this situation. My browser page is a little different as well. The toolbar up top is a little different and when adding tabs, it used to show them from left to right at the top of each page. Now, it opens the new tab, but in order to see it, I have to click the Down Arrow icon just right of the forward and backwards arrows in the top left hand side of the browser page. I haven't tried to reinstall any drivers or run the computer in safemode for any reason. I've also checked the Add and Remove list for programs that I don't need or shouldn't have. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

Ok, here's another take on this...

If you are ready to reinstall some programs, reconfigure the settings etc.. you could try a "System Restore", to restore your computer to an earlier point in time, when things were running smoothly. Once there, you could work your way ahead.

If the audio issue is a driver related problem, you will have to 'reinstall the driver' and check the sound/audio settings.

P.S: Next time round, please try not to post the info. as one big paragraph.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 07 July 2010 - 08:16 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:05 PM

Hello,

This sounds like one of the infections that is running around. I'm copying and pasting the information in your post above into your topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/331519/hijack/

Now that you have posted a log, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users