Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noob Questions About Ubuntu

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:15 PM

I'm a complete noobie when it comes to using Linux/Ubuntu, so bear with me here. I have installed Ubuntu to a partition so that I can dual-boot Windows XP and Ubuntu. I have read that Ubuntu comes with no codecs, repositories, packages? I had absolutely no idea about any of this stuff. My main purpose in using Linux is to be able to use all of the components in a program called Aircrack-ng. I do not have an internet connection on this computer. So, is there any way someone could tell me a place I could download all the essential packages/codecs, and then explain how to install them. Doesn't matter if your answer is as long as a book, I need all the help that I can get. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:34 PM

Have you added the restricted repos to your apt-get sources list?

Ubuntu 10.04 Release on apt-get

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

To add to the information Cryptodan offered you above (by the way Cryptodan great link!)

Here's another site with linux related resources. http://sourceforge.net/

Good luck with UBUNTU 10.4 LTS. I've just recently started using it myself and it takes a bit to get used to though but it includes a lot of cool aps. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

Aircrack-ng is listed in the Ubuntu Software Center. Whether or not you will need internet access to
completely install--Don't know.
To open software center, click on Applications/ Ubuntu Software Center and then do a search for Aircrack-ng. Click to install.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry if some of the questions sound like I know nothing about computers. I can pretty much work Windows inside and out, but Linux/Ubuntu is completely new to me. cryptodan said "Have you added the restricted repos to your apt-get sources list?", but I'm not exactly sure what "the restricted repos" are, or anything about "apt-get sources". The computer that I have running Ubuntu does not have an internet connection, so I won't be able to install anything directly from the net. I'm gonna use the link Cryptodan provided to see how much help it'll be, but any info on how to install apps/programs or any basic info on Ubuntu will be much appreciated guys. Thanks again.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

Aircrack-ng is an 802.11 WEP and WPA-PSK keys cracking program that can recover keys once enough data packets have been captured.

From the forum rules.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Bold is mine for emphasis.