Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Dual-Boot w/ Ubuntu Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:53 PM

Sorry guys if this is in the wrong forum, but since XP is my primary operating system I thought I'd start here. Here's the problem: Yesterday I decided to install Ubuntu on my PC to where I could dual-boot into either Windows or Ubuntu. Well, the installation went fine, but now when I boot up it gives me the option of booting Windows or Ubuntu (this IS what I wanted). Only thing is that it automatically highlights "Ubuntu" instead of Windows and if I don't choose Windows in 5 seconds it boots Ubuntu. Is there any way that I can move "Windows" to the top of the list so that if I don't choose anything, it'll automatically load Windows XP?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

How did you install Ubuntu?

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

http://www.ehow.com/how_2251661_edit-grub-menu-ubuntu.html

How to Edit the Grub Menu in Ubuntu

#4 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:12 AM

Go to your Startup Manager in Ubuntu, and (I don't have mine up now, so I'm doing this off memory) you will be able to find a section that will let you choose your default operating system, and even the time allowed before it boots.
Just click on the drop down menu, select Windows XP, save, and once you reboot, the WinXP will be highlighted and will boot to that by default. If you need a few more seconds to decide whether you want to boot into Ubuntu, I would recommend while in Startup Manager, change the seconds to 8 or 10.

#5 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I installed Ubuntu 10.4 by burning the .ISO to a cd and when I rebooted it gave me the option to try it or to install it. After trying, I decided to install by creating a partition on the HD for Ubuntu. I set aside a 40GB partition to install Ubuntu on. Later I realized that 40gigs was more than I needed, so I used Disk Manager to delete the partition used for Ubuntu. I only need about 20GB for it. The entire HD is 160GB and after deleting the Ubuntu partition I was left with a 101GB partition for Windows XP and 40GB of an "Unused Partition". Is there a way that I can add that 40gb back to the Windows partition, and sort of start all over? Thanks again for all the help.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

In all honesty I would do a clean install of Windows after you partition how you want your drive to look, then install Ubuntu.

#7 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

Is there any way that I could restore the partition to the way it was before I installed Ubuntu. I REALLY do not want to have to re-install Windows. It has taken me almost 6 months to get Windows to work just the way I wanted and I don't wanna have to start from scratch. Is there a way I could restore the partition to it's previous state without losing the way Windows is right now (maybe like a "non-destructive" partition recovery?

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

Boot ubuntu live cd. Open gparted. expand the windows partition to whatever size you like.

If your windows partition boots before this process, (without choosing it from a grub menu) it should still boot into windows.

#9 phoenixcrash

phoenixcrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

The Ubuntu 10.4 cd that I used to install it? Or the Gparted .iso that I have to burn to a cd? I tried the latest stable version (0.5) and after an assload of text runs down the screen I get a fuzzy screen (kinda like snow on a tv) where I can see the faint images of a folder and a few other icons. Should I try an older version on GParted (maybe 0.3)? I heard something about having to insert the Windows Recovery disc and do something involving a command prompt and typing "fixmbr". Couldn't get that to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users