Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with reconfiguring a Linksys Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RobertMorr

RobertMorr

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

Hi there,

I have a Linksys router (which I'm replacing in a week) that had to be reset. Unfortunately, I've never configured one myself to work with my DSL line and now the thing is out of warranty by 1 month unfortunately. On top of that, my ISP doesn't support third-party routers.
I checked the Linksys site but it's not helpful at all regarding the type of configuration I need.

For someone who has experienced configuring routers to work with a ATT DSL Motorola modem, this should be a quick issue to fix.

Would anyone be willing to help with this issue? :thumbsup:

The sooner I can fix this, the sooner I can get back to my main issue with the computer with my original BleepingComputer tech.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

AT&T DSL and Motorola Surboards modems :thumbsup:

Anyways it should be an easy setup.

1. Connect the modem LAN port to the WAN/Internet port of the router.
2. Turn of your Modem and the router.
3. Turn on the Surfboard modem. Waiting 2- 3min until the surfboard modem stabilizes.
4. Turn on the Linksys router. Your modem - router should be ok. However there are exceptions some surfboards are known to have the same IP address range of the linksys routers so there are tendences of conflicts.
5. Connect you computer to the router - use a cable. You should be online by now.

If not : Launch a browser and type

http://192.168.1.1 , you will be prompted for a username and password. Leave the username blank password should be admin, unless linksys changed there password default.
You should be on the LAN page by now. Look for the
LAN IP addres it should be 192.168.1.1 -- change it to 192.168.2.1 and perform steps 2 and 3.

---------

If all this is too much, use the CD that comes with the router, it will walk you through the setup. I also contains diagrams.

^_^
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#3 RobertMorr

RobertMorr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

Thanks. I fixed the problem and everything is working now...at least as far as the internet connection is concerned.

Now my computer...that remains to be seen... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users