Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window Me Drivers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blessthisqueen

blessthisqueen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:34 PM

I recently had a computer given to me. I only have the Windows ME disk for it. The Adapters for the Graphics has apparently been deleted b/c instead of 256 colors, I only have 16. I tried to use Voodoo (V2-1000) to update the graphics drivers, but it is telling me that it is not for Windows ME. What is the best and cheapest way to update the graphics in order that I may have 256 colors again, rather than the 16. I have already tried everything I can with the computer graphics itself, so I believe that I need to install a program or an adapter. Any suggestions? Thank you

Wesley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:18 PM

Even the most basic driver should give you 256 colours I would have thought?

Is your PC booting normally? It doesn't say "safe mode" in the corners of the screen does it?

What do you know about the graphics card in the PC? Is it actually a plug-in card or is it onboard - if it's onboard the video connector at the back will probably be close to and in the same orientation as several of the other ports all close to one side of the PC. If its a plug in card the connector will be at 90degrees to the side of the PC and will be in one of the expansion slots.

A system diagnostic may help identify the graphics card - Download the system analysis program 'Everest' so you can get detailed information about your system:
Everest download

Once you identify the card it should be fairly simple to track down a driver suitable for WinME.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:43 PM

If you need to look for a driver only you are certain of the manufactor go to DriversGuide.com.
There is a universal user name and password.

User: driver2
password: all
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users