Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Freeze, Locks in Standby

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 xNova

xNova

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:04 AM

I start playing games and a couple minutes in, boom my screen freezes and looks like what a nintendo would after being kicked or pulling out the game. My pc also locks down into a standby mode except it wont wake up althought everything inside is still working.

These my specs. I used Everest

Attached File  Report.htm   39.75KB   23 downloads

These are my temperatures while i was posting this. And i have the fan working at 70% with Rivatuner. Sorry about the pic dont know much about resizing either. Never took the time to learn.
Attached File  Untitled.png   67.74KB   18 downloads

This started happening to me four days ago. I decided to reformat my hard drive and start fresh but it continued to occur. I installed my latest graphics card driver. anything else i should update? I wanted to update my chipset but i dont know much about that, i just saw it on other forums. I also cleaned out the dust in the case with an air compressor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 07 July 2010 - 03:52 PM.
Split from dissimilar thread ~ Hamluis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

Have you tried uninstalling your video drivers...rebooting, then reinstalling the video drivers?

I see 105 degrees Celsius listed as max temp for that GPU...not sure why your graphic reflects as overheating.

Louis

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

I just want to add, those programs that monitor temperatures and voltages have a margin of error, even if they claim they are accurate and reliable.

They basically give you a guesstimate, that's about all. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 xNova

xNova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

Well i figured out what was causing my freezes and lock downs. Its my graphics card.. This is my second graphics card that i have with nvidia and its only 1year and a half old... I figured out its the card because i took it out my system and connected my monitor to my original card(G695 express chipset)which is on my MOBO and my game never froze. Of course it had screen lag but it didnt freeze like my graphics card did. This really pisses me off because i spent $500 dollars on the Nvidia 9600GT and the PSU to power it. Amazing...

So why would my graphics card be freezing while gaming if its not heating up?

Edited by xNova, 07 July 2010 - 04:27 PM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:14 PM

There are several factors to look at here.

:trumpet: Is the video card configured properly in the BIOS utility?

:flowers: Is the software or drivers you are using buggy in any way?

:thumbsup: Is there a video codec that is a BETA version that was installed with the game?

Those are some issues with the video card not functioning properly, which are often over looked when video card issues pop up.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 xNova

xNova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

My video card is on my PCI-E slot on my pc so i went into BIOS and out the video card on PCI-E

I have installed drivers about three times already just to experience the same results

And finally, i highly doubt there is any video codec in the game that is a BETA version. This doesnt happen just with one game, it happens with others too. These are the games i have ran with no issues until about 5 days ago
- War Rock
- AVA Alliance of Valient Arms
- Crysis

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

I need to ask you what version of DirectX you have installed and if you recently updated it.

I want to check if your games are compatible with DirectX 11 if that is the one you have installed. If not please post what version you are currently using.

Thanks in advance.

#8 xNova

xNova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:26 PM

4.09.00.0904 DirectX 9.0c

Thats the direct X version i have, just as it says in my Everest report. And no, i havent updated directX anytime soon. I have visited microsoft.com for directX updates but im not sure what they are. I didnt see any named DirectX 11 so i didnt download any.

Heck, im the one who should be thanking you =)

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:53 PM

What Windows OS are you using? I think I know the answer but I'd rather hear it from you then sit here guessing.

#10 xNova

xNova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:22 AM

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64x bit
8gb ram
Intel dual core 1.86ghz

Edited by xNova, 08 July 2010 - 05:19 PM.

#11 xNova

xNova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:04 AM

I downloaded Driver Detector and it told me i had to update 27 drivers. I been searching for these drivers for hours and i cant even find em on the intel sight. These are the drivers it says i need to update:

System Devices
- (2) Intel P965/G965 PCE Express Root Port - 29A1
- Intel ICH8 Family SMBUS Controller - 283E
- Intel ICH8DH LPC Interface Controller - 2812

USB Controllers
- (7) Intel ICH8 family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830

Unplugged Devices
- Intel G965 Express Chipset Family

Today i disconnected everything inside the pc to clean it all out. I used to small eye shadow brush. I removed the graphic card, fans, PSU, RAMs, and even the CPU'S heat sink. I still get freezes and lock downs although nothing heats up.

Please help

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

Driver detective is not always correct and it does not always offer the correct drivers either, I have purchased that program in the past and it offered me the wrong Nvidia drivers for my video card time after time and still siad they needed updating even after I updated them with the correct drivers from Nvidia's official download web site. Not to mention driver detective's subscrption runs out after a year.

I have noticed we are offering advice to you but lack information on your computers make and model number, or at least the motherboard make and model number if it is a custom make system.

Can you please post back that information, we'll go from there and see if you need to download chipset drivers.

Kind regards.

#13 xNova

xNova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 01:51 AM

Ok driver detective has been erased from my pc. I didnt want it anyways, i just wanted to check my drivers but id rather learn fom someone with experience like you MrBruce. I really do appreciate all the time you put into bleepingcomputer.com and i think that your a great person for trying to help me with my issue. I will try my best to provide you with any information regarding my computer. Please if you need anything let me know.

This is what i currently have on my PC: HP Pavilion a1640n Media Center Edition

OS - Purchased with windows XP 32x bit OS
RAM - Purchased with 2gb of ram(1gb stick x2 DDR2) Now has 8gb of RAM(2gb sticks x4 DDR2)
PSU - Thermaltake TR RX Cable Management 550W
Motherboard - ASUS P5BW-LA / HP Name - Buckeye-GL8E (Dont know why Everest couldnt find it)
Chipset - G965
BIOS Core Brand - Award
Graphics - When purchased it was intergrated. Now its an Nvidia XFX 9600GT 512MB
Slots - 3 PCI and 1 PCI-E x16.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by xNova, 11 July 2010 - 02:06 AM.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:38 AM

Thank you for posting your system's information.

The one piece of hardware you failed to describe is your PSU (Power supply) specs. Can you please post the information you see printed on the power supply label for the power supply output.

I want to make sure your power supply has enough output to support you video card and all the other peripherals you have inside your system that draws from the PSU.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

#15 xNova

xNova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

Ok the these are the PSU specs:

Thermaltake TR RX Cable Management 550W

DC Ouput: +3.3V +5V +12V -12V +5VSB
Max Output Current: 30A 28A 16A 17A 0.3A 3A

Edited by xNova, 11 July 2010 - 04:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users