Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

netgear router

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ohiogal30

Ohiogal30

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

I recently got a new cell phone and I wanted to set up wireless at home. I have a netgear router and just a modem from Embarq. I can get it to connect and work but the router keeps turning off and restarting it self.

Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:17 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Can you please post your Netgear router's model number?

This makes it easier to offer you any help or assistance if we have an idea of what firmware and options your router has.

kind regards.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Ohiogal30

Ohiogal30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

I have a WGR614 V4. is that the right number?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

I have a WGR614 V4. is that the right number?

Yes that is the number I was asking for, I am familiar with this router because I owned the V9 version of the WGR614.

First question, have you ever tried updating the router's firmware from the option available in the router's firmware options?

In case you are not sure what I am refering to, please ask me.

The way to enter your router's setup is by opening a web browser and typing the following url. http://www.routerlogin.net you have to use the default name admin and enter the password, the default password is password. Hopefully you have changed the password to something different.

I have read what you have posted so far about your saying the router keeps turning off, I need you to be a bit more specific about what you mean by the router keeps turning off, do you mean the Internet connection or do you mean that the router is powering off?

Do you need an owner's manual for your WGR619 V4? I can point you towards an downloadable PDF version of the manual if you need one.

I will watch for your reply.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Ohiogal30

Ohiogal30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:40 PM

The router shuts down and restarts and I lose connection to the internet for a while. I also noticed that if it is working the signal isn't strong enough to get to my couch about 3 feet away. Would this be a sign of a router dying?

I tried doing the update from the netgear website but couldn't get it to work.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

I am going to supply you with a lot of information here regarding your router.

First off here is a link to the main page for the NetGear WGR614 V4 router. http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2586

The four tabs on this page have Kb/FAQ Documentation downloads and forum topics.

The manuals are on the Documentation tab.

The firmware is on downloads tab.

Those manuals should help you understand how your routers settings should be.

My next question is have you shut down the router for a bit to see if things work better after a short rest?

Your router also has a reset button on the back side, it's almost hidden inside of a pin hole, using a pin and pressing in on it resets the router, this might clear up some issues with it.

The firmware update utility built into the routers firmware can be set to automatic or manual check, it should connect to the server and do an automatic update, and advise you not to turn off or reset the router till it is done.

I can not think of why your router would turn its self off at all, as this is not a feature built into the router, if its disconnecting from the WAN thats one thing, or if the WLAN or LAN or wireless is disconnecting, I can understand that happening, but not the router turns its self off (powers off) and power light goes dark.

If your losing the wireless signal and that is what you are talking about, it could be caused by interference from another router near by, or interference from a cordless phone or other device which transmits an RF carrier, remotes, wireless devices, broadcast stations are a source of such interference, which blocks the communications or Wireless networks.

Before I get too far into technical jargon here that may not apply to your specific case, I will allow you to reply to me with information that is specific to your situation.

Does the power light cycle off when you say the router powers off? Or am I misunderstanding your descriptions for the wrong thing?

#7 Ohiogal30

Ohiogal30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

It will work fine for a bit but then it completly powers off. The power light goes off for maybe 2 secs, then comes back and blinks orange for a bit and then goes back to green.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:39 PM

As much as I know better about routers I still took the time to read the manual to be sure that I am correct with my theory.

I wanted to make sure your router does not have a feature that turns off the router at specific times of the day. Conclusion, it has none.

Unless your router is wired to an outlet that is wired to a wall switch, which is being switched off, there is no feature built into the router for it to turn off its power automatically unless there is a electrical problem some where.

The router does however, have a feature built into its firmware that can block the internet at certain times of the day. But this feature does not shut the routers power off.

My first piece of advice is for you to disconnect the power adapter from the router, let the router sit for at least 5 whole minutes with no power supplied to it.

After 5 minutes, plug the power adapter back into the router again and let the status LEDs blink as they should and see if the icon that looks like an I stays lit but blinks on and off, this means your router has established a connection with the Internet or also called WAN for Wide Area Network.

The LED with a check mark, only blinks continuously when the router is conducting its maintenance at start up.

The LED with a circle is the power LED.

The numbered lights 1 through 4 are each wired device that uses the ports 1 though 4 on the router's back panel.

The other icon that looks like a wand, only lights or blinks when the wireless option is enabled in the router and a wireless device is successfully connected to the router.

I am not sure if you are using the correct NetGear brand power adapter, it should have the name NetGear stamped right on the adapter's housing that plugs into an AC outlet.

If it does not say NetGear, you are powering the router with the wrong AC power adapter. This can happen when you have many power adapters around the area of the computer and get them mixed up when you relocate the computer setup or move things around.

Case in point. I have seen where one friend of mine had a computer setup and they moved to a new house.
They hooked up their computer setup and had problems with two devices, their printer and their router. They could not figure out why one did not work at all and the other one was over heating and not working (shutting down).
What happened was they had the printer's power adapter which was more Amps powering the router, which was over heating. The printer was powered by the routers adapter which was too little Amps and not enough power to power up the printer.
Get my point?

Now getting back on track here, please try what I suggested above about power off the router for 5 minutes.
Check the power adapter for the NetGear name.

Please post back your results and we will go from there.

Kind regards.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 08 July 2010 - 12:40 PM.

#9 Ohiogal30

Ohiogal30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:40 PM

I don't leave it connected to wireless becuase the box gets really hot. So it was off all night when I reconnected this morning and it went back to switching off and on after a bit. The plug is a netgear plug. The bottom of the router is slightly melted so its possible its getting to much power.

#10 Ohiogal30

Ohiogal30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

Thank you for all your help. I ended up going and buying a new router and after an hour on the phone with Belkin I'm up and running. All I know is with the Belkin the router and modem were using the same IP address so I had to fix that. But the guy at Best Buy couldn't tell my why my old router melted itself or would be turning off either.

Once again, thank you for everything! :huh: :thumbsup:

~Carrie

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

Hey no problem, I would have done the same thing, specially since you said the routers casing was melted, I would think it was time to replace it.

Good luck with your new router!

Enjoy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users