Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD drive worth the effort?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stinkfist

stinkfist

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:19 PM

Hello,

I am getting ready to upgrade one of my PC's to a SSD 128gb drive. Below is my current PC configuration. I do alot of HD movies ripping & also some Cad/Cam programming. Will I notice a difference with a SSD drive compared to my current 7200 RPM Seagate 1tb drive? Do applications run faster with SSD drives? Or is it just faster reboot and load times? Also what about data transfer between folders? Is that faster?

-Intel Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33 Ghz

-8 GB DDR3 1600 Memory

-Nvidia 480 GX

-1tb 7200 RPM Seagate Hard Drive

Edited by hamluis, 09 July 2010 - 08:27 PM.
Removed excess blank lines ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:37 PM

Well to be truthful SSD drives are still rather new and therefore, there isn't much in the way of reviews on such drives.

There is supposed to be faster data transfers, but much depends on how fast the system BUS can handle the transfers.

So the system board's abilities also play a major roll here in trying to create a fair review, then there's the chance that the SSD's firmware may have bugs that are yet to be discovered and worked out.

For what it's worth, I would try an SSD and experiment with it and see if in my own personal opinion I have gained anything in speed and performance.

If I relied on the opinions of others, I may not experience the same results with my system as they have with theirs, because many things play into the factor here, most of which is hardware and power consumption related, then the ability of the system bus speed.

You do not want to bottle-neck your abilities, because you could end up with a slower system and at the high cost of SSD drives, it may not be cost effective. IMO
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:03 PM

The benefits of an SSD are not necessarily data read/write times (although they are faster at that). The real benefits of an SSD are the extremely low latency and seek times.

Edited by RainbowSix, 07 July 2010 - 08:04 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#4 Luke L

Luke L

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:29 PM

With your system I would think that a SSD would help a lot. Your hard drive is obviously the bottleneck, since you have one of the fastest cpu's and plenty of RAM. Mr Bruce is right though, they are fairly new. I would highly suggest that if you get one, only get one. When you put two or more SSD's in RAID 0, they cannot use TRIM, which is needed to keep them fast after a couple weeks of use. I myself am using a OCZ Vertex 2 50GB SSD. With it Windows loads super fast, and I can boot into Ubuntu Linux in about 3.5 seconds (after the BIOS loads). My SSD works so well, it makes my cpu my system's bottleneck (AMD Sempron 140, lol).

Here is the one I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...7-528-_-Product

You really only need one that's big enough to hold your OS and frequently used programs. SSD's only speed up the startup times of Windows games, and applications (yes, and moving files, but these are too expensive to store all your media on), but for some it is worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users