Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing and BSOD after re-imaging

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 gendoikari87

gendoikari87

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

I've had a few problems after installing my new graphics card. It's a GT 240, and after we put that in we decided to re-image it and basically give it a tune up but it keeps freezing when trying to install stuff. the windows we put on there was the XP professional. Mostly it freezes when installing windows updates or IE8 or IE7. I have a AMD 2.8ghz processor 4 gigs of ram, and an m2a-mvp motherboard. It's also given the the BSOD twice now. I can't remember the first code but the second one was

BCCode : 1000000a BCP1 : CE0909CC BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 8050EF28 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:32 PM

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

#3 gendoikari87

gendoikari87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

I won't be able to untill tomorrow. Anybody have any clue as to what is causing the freezing?

#4 gendoikari87

gendoikari87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:40 AM

Okay i was able to get the file and here it is

==================================================
Dump File : Mini070710-02.dmp
Crash Time : 7/7/2010 2:48:36 PM
Bug Check String : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x1000000a
Parameter 1 : 0xce0909cc
Parameter 2 : 0x00000002
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0x8050ef28
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+37f28
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.5938 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514)
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini070710-02.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600

Dump File : Mini070710-01.dmp
Crash Time : 7/7/2010 9:51:25 AM
Bug Check String : THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
Bug Check Code : 0x100000ea
Parameter 1 : 0x8a0c6b30
Parameter 2 : 0x8a0cc008
Parameter 3 : 0xb84e7cbc
Parameter 4 : 0x00000001
Caused By Driver : nv4_disp.dll
Caused By Address : nv4_disp.dll+44f13
File Description : NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 257.21
Product Name : NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 257.21
Company : NVIDIA Corporation
File Version : 6.14.12.5721
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini070710-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600

Also if it helps I installed both steam and impulse and they can DOWNLOAD games fine, but it can't install them after downloading them, it freezes up.

also some of the problem bugs

MS.net thing number (kb951847), and (KB975562) both won't install and both freeze the computer while trying to install.

Internet explorer 8 is not installed though.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:41 AM

Update your Video Card Drive by going here: http://www.nvidia.com if you need help finding out your video card then do this: Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

#6 gendoikari87

gendoikari87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:45 AM

Update your Video Card Drive by going here: http://www.nvidia.com if you need help finding out your video card then do this: Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Nvidias website freezes... which is odd as nothing else does...

Edited by gendoikari87, 08 July 2010 - 10:48 AM.

#7 sbdblyss

sbdblyss

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

Try a driver from the archive. Maybe this site will not freeze because it does not have flash: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

Also, you can attempt to access the Nvidia site using chrome. http://www.google.com/chrome
My mind isn't quite sure what it has bargained for, but my heart is in time with, with the consistency of Your's.

#8 gendoikari87

gendoikari87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:02 PM

Try a driver from the archive. Maybe this site will not freeze because it does not have flash: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

Also, you can attempt to access the Nvidia site using chrome. http://www.google.com/chrome

we downloaded the driver to a thumb drive, but it freezes when we try to install it.

#9 sbdblyss

sbdblyss

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:45 PM

we downloaded the driver to a thumb drive, but it freezes when we try to install it.

Does the computer freeze with a blue screen when you attempt to install it?

It is possible that the Video Card is bad. Do you have a different video card that you could try in it's place? Maybe your computer has on-board video that you could try. It would be located on the motherboard. You should be able to remove the Nvidia card and try it that way. At least, it would be a step toward trouble shooting.

Jake
My mind isn't quite sure what it has bargained for, but my heart is in time with, with the consistency of Your's.

#10 gendoikari87

gendoikari87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:11 PM

It is possible that the Video Card is bad. Do you have a different video card that you could try in it's place? Maybe your computer has on-board video that you could try. It would be located on the motherboard. You should be able to remove the Nvidia card and try it that way. At least, it would be a step toward trouble shooting.

Jake

is it possible that the motherboard is bad? my tech guy thinks that is what the problem is. it has had two graphics cards blow in it in 3 years.

we also tried installing windows xp pro on a sperate hard drive and it still failed.

Edited by gendoikari87, 09 July 2010 - 01:13 PM.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

Jake

is it possible that the motherboard is bad? my tech guy thinks that is what the problem is. it has had two graphics cards blow in it in 3 years.

What kind of power supply do you have? Ever thought that could be the issue? Can you get me the model number?

#12 gendoikari87

gendoikari87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

Jake

What kind of power supply do you have? Ever thought that could be the issue? Can you get me the model number?

I don't know. We tested the power supply though. Like i said we tried to install windows on a sperate hard drive and still nothing. I'm really hoping it's not a bad motherboard, but it looks like that might be what it is.

Should I have any hope at all?

Edit: we also eliminated the graphics card, and the ram as the problem. we do know however that the lan port on the hard drive is gone. Totally unresponsive.

Edited by gendoikari87, 09 July 2010 - 01:16 PM.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

If you say you have blown 2 video cards, then you should look at your power supply.

#14 gendoikari87

gendoikari87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:31 PM

If you say you have blown 2 video cards, then you should look at your power supply.

we already did. It's fine.

#15 sbdblyss

sbdblyss

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

The blue screen is likely being caused by the Video Card, not the hard drive or motherboard. Take the following steps:

Test your memory:
-Read about it here: http://www.memtest.org/
-Download it here: http://www.memtest.org/download/4.10/memtest86+-4.10.iso.zip
-Extract the ISO file from the ZIP folder and burn it to a disk (let me know if you need further instructions).
-Boot from the disk and it will test the memory.

Determine whether or not the video card is bad:
-Buy a video card (or exchange) or borrow a video card from your tech.
-Install windows and see what happens.

Again, I really believe that the problem is your video card. There is no way to tell whether you power supply is burning out your video card if it is sending steady voltage. It could spike, but if it only spikes every year or so, how would you know? In my experience, video cards go bad from overheating. They will still function, but will cause windows to blue screen because they are not functioning properly.

Good luck!

Jake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users