Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleeping Dangerous

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Live2Eng

Live2Eng

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:59 AM

Hi all. I hope this finds you and yours well.

I am a Civil Engineer, (most of the time) working in a small firm with enough of a network to share printers, a couple of network ready plotter & printers, files, and access the internet. I use a Vista 64bit machine with 8gig of ram, which I built from parts mostly from New Egg. I have dual monitors, wireless mouse/keyboard and love this machine. I hated the idea of leaving XP but found out they would not support the 64bit version. We were trying to handle larger and larger aerial photos and maps which caused ever increasing troubles we hoped would be solved by more ram. We were correct . . . sort of.

I have an Inspiron 9300 I once used for CAD on the couch at home, but use mostly for email and some old design software I refuse to part with or pay for the newer versions of. This machine collected a nasty piece of program one day which consumed my whole day attempting to remedy. Any idea how many free scan tools you can run in a day?

Finally I called an Electrical Engineer friend of mine running an ISP in desparation. Me, that is, not the EE, although he would correct me. He scolded me for leaving my computer vulnerable, then reassured me that it can happen to anyone. I think this was only to get me to stop crying. He told me to run Combo Fix and call him in the morning, with specific warnings to go directly to bleepingcomputer.com, do not talk to strangers, do not pass Go. For once, I followed all the directions and have had zero complaints.

So, I am here offering my participation as an offering to whatever bleepingcomputerdisciples might be lingering about.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

Hello and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users