Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limitations of wireless hardware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

HI!!

I've been pondering a solution for increasing the range of a wireless router. Most routers today are manufactured by D-Link, Cisco, Netgear or Belkin and they're pretty much all the freakin same.

Whether it's a G or an N. The speed is the same across the board for all of them as is the range.

Granted, networking is always very tricky due to several factors:

1)walls
2)what's inside the walls
3)multi-level building
4)multiple wireless devices running at the same time

From what I understand, there is no way to modify the existing hardware of a router to make it any faster (prioritizing bandwidth is the solution here).

The issue I am concerned with presently is how to increase the range of a wireless router.

Is there possibly any antennae that are made by the affore listed router manufacturers or are there any third party antennae that will co-operate with the router hardware and transmit a wirless signal.

I would think that simply a LARGER antennae would be able to atleast receive the signal better if anything. Boosting the signal I have no ideas or thoughts upon but any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

for3ver,
goose90proof
for3ver,
goose90proof

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

Sounds like a job.

Here are the things you need to consider.

-- Distance between the Wireless router and the wireless client.
-- obstructions between the wireless router and the clients ( Bricks wall, insulating materials, glass etc. )
-- If by chance its really too far and since your stating multi story setup, I would suggest multiple access points setup in a roaming environment
-- If its only 1 floor you might have to think about repeaters, granted if the wireless router you will be using has a compatible repeater. Please consult the manufacturers - Its been a long time since I was involved in wireless troubleshooting - It was my day job 4 years ago.
-- Antennae persay is does not really help, however if you search you can check out the concepts of parabolic antennas that would focus your signal thereby extending its reach and signal strength.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users