Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox taken over by IE!!!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Chicagoshirl

Chicagoshirl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:09 AM

Don't know a better way to describe it than the topic title I chose. All of a sudden, when I open Firefox, it almost looks normal, but not quite. Font is different, stored passwords to various sites no longer come up, page load errors look like the IE message page rather than what normally pops up when Firefox can't load a page. I'm running XP Professional, SP 3, and thought I was doing the right thing by having McAfee Total Protection. But lately McAfee has been buggy, continually prompting me to reboot so it can fix a problem it found (trojan named Artemis!) but never seems able to fix the problem despite shutting down and rebooting. Are these incidents related?

I feel like an idiot. I've never had this happen before, and have always been the one to help others with their pc problems. But now I am stumped. Do I load a different total protection package such as Norton (which I believe I can get free from my ISP), or do I go the individual malware removal program route? If so, where in the world do I begin? The Firefox site has some suggestions posted, and also linked to this forum, so I decided to humbly ask for those wiser and more experienced in these matters to advise me, please.

And just to add to the frustration and tension, I am nervous about being online, knowing my pc is being controlled by who knows what and possibly sending my data to who knows where?

Many thanks to any and all who can offer suggestions!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users