Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Causes Crash SVCHOST.EXE & NTDLL.DLL

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 carrierk

carrierk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

Hi my name is Ken Carrier and I am new to the forums. I am currently having a problem with SVCHOST.EXE & NTDLL.DLL crashing when the computer starts. It seems that when any programs tries to update the svchost.exe crashes and the system becomes unusable. If there is anyone out there who can help me I would really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

System manufacturer and model? What SP is installed?

<<I am currently having a problem with SVCHOST.EXE & NTDLL.DLL crashing...>>

What are the exact, full error messages, please?

<<It seems that when any programs tries to update the svchost.exe crashes and the system becomes unusable.>>

Seems unlikely that "any" program would trigger svchost.exe symptoms...since svchost.exe is used by various programs/functions. Have you tried using Process Explorer to get more specific details on which svchost process might be the problem?

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

Louis

#3 carrierk

carrierk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

Dell Optiplex 745
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

I have tried using Process Explorer, but by the time I got it open after the computer boots the error had already occurred.

I have made some progress, in some of the tech articles I have been reading it appeared the error message might be related to windows updates. I uninstalled IE8 and removed IE6, rebooted. Reinstalled IE6 and then crashed. Rebooted. Installed IE8 on top of IE6, once it got through the download and updates the error message has not happened again. Then I tried to run windows updates and it crashed. Went through the process again for uninstall and reinstall without using windows update and the error message has not reappeared, keeping my fingers crossed.

I am not 100% certain this has fixed my issue.

Here is the error message description in Event Viewer:

Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.5512, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.5512, fault address 0x000108b3

The error message presented to me just after botting is Generic Win32 error message.

I would like to get to the bottom of this but I do not know if there is way to find out what might be the root cause without having the error message regenerate itself.

If you need me to provide logfiles or anything of that nature let me know.

Edited by carrierk, 07 July 2010 - 11:58 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

Have you tried running the sfc /scannow command?

What AV program is installed? Does it properly update?

Louis

#5 carrierk

carrierk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

Yes I have done the sfc /scannow command twice, I had McAfee installed but thinking that it might be the problem I uninstalled it because I thought that when the computer was starting that it was trying to update to the latest DAT file.

Do you think a logfile from HiJackThis or the program OldTimer made would give us any more clues as to what the problem might be?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:46 PM

Those tools...are malware tools and we don't use those in the XP forum.

If you suspect that you have a malware issue...I can move this post to an appropriate forum for dealing with such. There you can receive proper guidance on validating/refuiting the presence of malware.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users