Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server Service Disappears On Win2k Server Sp4

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 No Quarter

No Quarter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:58 PM

On a Win2K SP4 Server that had been up and running a long time, the "Server Service" has disappeared from the system. "NET START SERVER" returns "The service name is invalid." with a reference to HELPMSG 2185, and the Server Service is no long listed when I go directly to services.msc. This was discovered when trying to open any of the Admistrator Tools, such as Routing and Remote Access. The only way I'm aware that you can delete services is with a tool from the resource kit, but the resource kit is not installed on this server. Any ideas on how this could have happened?

Any ideas on how to fix this without taking the server down?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 No Quarter

No Quarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:27 AM

I still haven't been able to figure out how/why the Server Service was removed from the system, but I was able to resolve the issue but adding the "File and Print Sharing" service, which adds the Server Service to the system when it is installed, then once I confirmed the Server Service was operational, removed for F&PS Service for security reasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users