Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 4 beta 1 released!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:29 AM

Get it now: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/beta/

My initial non-scientific testing has been positive. 90% of my addons worked fine once I installed the Addon Compatibility Reporter addon which re-enables all addons and allows you to report back to Mozilla which ones work and which ones don't.

Overall, Firefox 4 beta 1 seems only a little different from my faithful 3.6. Sure, the tabs are now placed along the top but I can see myself getting used to that.

Things do seem more snappy and responsive. And there seems to be a significant, quantifiable, improvement in Javascript execution. I ran both Firefox 3.6 and 4.0b1 through a little benchmark I found online wherein Firefox 4.0b was rated as 266% time faster in executing Javascript.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

Firefox 4.0 does not show tabs on the top side of window in Windows XP. The putting of tabs on top and Firefox button on top-left, looks like a copy of Opera style.

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

I sure hope FF 4 addresses the host of 'memory leak' issues 3.6.X is plagued with.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 mabagwell

mabagwell

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

Hi, I am new to this forum.

i wonder if this version of Firefox will fix for me the old "Firefox can't find the server" issue.

I have had this problem with Firefox on 4 computers, one with XP, one with Vista and two with Windows 7.

Martha

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

Hi, I am new to this forum.

i wonder if this version of Firefox will fix for me the old "Firefox can't find the server" issue.

I have had this problem with Firefox on 4 computers, one with XP, one with Vista and two with Windows 7.

Martha

Welcome to BleepingComputer :-)
If Firefox cannot find the server then either the server is down or your DNS server is not responding like it should. What web site you get an error of "Cannot find the server" ?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,893 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:24 PM

Andrew---Using the test you linked to, these were my results in Ubuntu/ Firefox 3.6.6 compared to Windows 7/ Firefox 3.6.6.

** TOTAL **: 1.15x as fast 1085.2ms +/- 0.4% 940.2ms +/- 2.6% significant (1085.2ms is Ubuntu/ Firefox)

How does that compare to your results? If you care to share.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Leader

Leader

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

So do you guys recommend to stay with Firefox 3.6.6 or upgrade to 4.0 Beta?

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

Bleeping Computer's position on anything labeled as Beta:

Please note that this program is a pre-release beta version of a product and not completely tested to ensure its stability or reliability.

What is beta software?

After an initial round of in-house testing, software publishers often release new programs to be tested by the public. These pre-release versions are called beta software, usually denoted by a "b" in the version number, e.g., Netscape Navigator 2.0b5. Since the publisher couldn't possibly test the software under all possible conditions, it is reasonable to expect that wider use of the software may uncover problems that were not discovered during in-house testing. The publisher expects to be notified when users find such problems so that the program can be fixed before its official release.

In general, you should expect to run into bugs whenever using any piece of beta software. These bugs may range in severity from minor features that don't work to problems that cause your computer to crash. You should decide whether the benefit of new features in a beta program outweighs the risk of program instability before choosing to use a piece of beta software. You should also be aware that UITS will not have thoroughly tested beta software, nor will the software be guaranteed by its maker, so you should not expect the same level of support as you would receive for an official release version of the program.

The goal of a beta program is to collect information regarding the performance, quality, stability, and functionality of new products in order to iron out the bugs before they are released to the general public. If you choose to use a beta program, you use it at your own risk.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

This is definitely not for your average Joe. Before testing out any beta of a Mozilla program, I highly recommend creating a backup of your profiles so that if anything goes wrong you can revert to the pre-beta state. Mozbackup is a great free program for backing up and restoring your Mozilla profiles.

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:49 PM

Please let this release fix the massive memory leak in the Ubuntu version......... or is that just ubuntu's junk

Posted Image

#11 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:15 PM

^ It's the same with the Windows version.
Hoping for the best!
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#12 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:55 PM

Same here and I love the beta on mac os x It looks the same but operates with a certain new flow! :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users