Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Biostar RMA policy

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 andregmac

andregmac

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:04 PM

Sorry! This is a long story for a short question, but I thought it needed a setup ...

I bought a barebones system last year:

CPU Type/Speed: AMD Phenom II X3 720
Computer/Motherboard Model: Biostar A760G AM+
Operating System: Windows XP 32-bit SP3
Memory: Patriot DDR2 PC3500 1gb(x2), part #PSD21G667ECS
Power Supply: Corsair 400 watt

I contracted a something nasty that attacked mainly my "explorer.exe" file on Windows XP SP3. After doing a little work, I got the system stable again. It was about this time that I noticed that my computer would unexpectedly crash. The fans would be running but the monitor would lose its signal and the computer was non-responsive. After a re-start, everything would work okay. This did this for the third time on 6/6. I thought maybe it needed cleaning so I gave the inside of the case a light dusting. Once everything was clean, I restarted the computer and it booted. On the night of 6/7, the same thing happened again, only this time it would not reboot. The power and hard drive light would come on, the DVD player would cycle, the fans would come on, but there was no hard drive action and no signal to the monitor. Just as I was about to believe that the motherboard and/or processor had died, I tried swapping out the memory sticks. With just one stick in the computer, the system booted. I can use either one of my 1gb sticks in either slot and the system will boot. But using both, I get nothing.

I contacted the Biostar and Patriot about the problem, and after a number of emails, they suggested I contact AMD because, in their words, "Sounds like the CPU's on die memory controller has failed."

AMD RMA'ed the processor and I got a new one. With a new processor, my two sticks of memory, and a new Corsair 400 PSU installed I started the system. It passed the BIOS screen, got to the Windows xp screen, acted like it was going to set up, hit an XP boot cleaning stage then promptly got hung up. Every time I started the computer it would do the same thing: BIOS, Windows XP, blink, a few little hard drive blips, and then NOTHING.

I thought that maybe the boot.ini might have gotten corrupted when the clean screen froze. But every time I tried to boot the XP installation CD to get to Windows recovery, the system would load everything and then freeze on "Starting Windows".

Then I again tried to pulling one of the sticks of memory and, lo and behold, the computer booted and Windows came up. I tried both sticks of memory in each slot and each time the computer booted. I tested the memory w/ MEMTEST and neither one produced problems. I even flashed the BIOS. Once I got the system to re-discover its graphics driver (don't know how that happened), the system is still experiencing the same problem!!!!

I would like Biostar to RMA the board, but they said that they would need to have the processor and the memory sent with the board in order to test it. Now to my question ... is this common practice in returning a motherboard to its company? I am kinda nervous sending basically my whole system in to them so that they could possibly find (or create) fault in a product other than theirs.

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:18 PM

Ive never heard of it, but it wouldnt surprise me. I use Biostar boards on occasion, my secondary computer is using one right now, and I havent had much contact with their customer support, though it seemed questionable. Are they paying for the shipping? If so, or if its not to much, I think I would go ahead and do it, just keep a copy and receipt of the shipping, and perhaps take photos of the product you sent them. Just make sure the address they give you to ship it to lines up with their customer support facility (you can type their address into google and double check it)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users