Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hbo Or Showtime

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:38 PM

I currently have HBO but am getting tired of their lame programming. It seems they have 99 old movies, and one fairly current one. That's about it in terms of movies. They actually show lame movies like Ferris Bueler's Day Off, a movie that has been shown thousands of times on free TV, and other such movies from the 80's and 90's. The only reason I have kept paying for HBO so long is because I like some of the original programming. I like Sopranos, Deadwood, and I love the Larry David show - Curb Your Enthusiasm. However I don't love it enough to pay $12 a month for just that.

Anyone here have Showtime? I could get that for the same price. Do they have more current movies, or what is the verdict on their programming?

Thanks for the advice.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:03 PM

I switch between the two about every other month, they both play the same material until your average watcher can recite the dialogue. Show time has more channel, and some older movies, HBO has the newer movies, but after a few months those can be found on othe non-premium channels.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:06 PM

Just a thought, but why don't you look at Showtime's and HBO's websites and compare the two. Do a month's worth of programming comparisons. Only you can be the judge of what you like in TV programming. What interests me, you may despise. I've added Showtime's and HBO's websites as a courtesy. Just my own personal take on the topic.

Showtime:http://www.sho.com/site/homepage/index.do

HBO:http://www.hbo.com/

Be (Pay TV) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 11:28 PM

Did either of you look into the dvd by mail no postage no getting wet offers of

Netflix

http://www.netflix.com/Default or

Blockbuster get 2 free in store rentals / mo. also

http://www.blockbuster.com/homepages/LoadB...Homepage.action

They're $10, 15, & 18 a mo.

I use my basic $45 cable and the middle package from BB and watch 8-10 different movies a month.
The no late fees means you can keep them for 2 weeks. READ the terms. But you don't want them for that long anyway. make a list onlin and just keep mailing them back for new ones. NO postage.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:08 PM

My budget is $12 per month.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 10:58 PM

My budget is $12 per month.

go with the first plan . watch 1 , drop it in your mail and the next is there in a couple days. You can still get about 6-7 movies you want to watch a month. and 2 free in store a month. I dunno I find it convenient..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 10:27 AM

Ok, Blockbuster it is! Thanks for the advice. I'm going to give it a try.

I especially like the two store coupons a month. That helps a lot.

Thanks again.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 04:03 PM

Ok, Blockbuster it is! Thanks for the advice. I'm going to give it a try.

I especially like the two store coupons a month. That helps a lot.

Thanks again.

Just a note of importance Keep your queue full and they come fast.
DO NOT keep anything for `2 weeks alyhough it's fixable it can throw your buget off.. Here is the policy

The End of Late Fees Terms

Membership rules apply for rentals. Rentals are due back at the date and time stated on the transaction receipt. There is no additional rental charge if a member keeps a rental item up to 7 days beyond the pre-paid rental period. After 7 days beyond the due date, Blockbuster will automatically convert the rental to a purchase on the 8th day and will charge the member the selling price for the item in effect at the time of the rental, minus the rental fee paid. Member then has 30 days to return the product and receive a credit for the selling price charged, less a $1.25 restocking fee. These terms available at participating stores only. Franchisee restocking fees may vary. See store or blockbuster.com for complete terms and conditions.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:05 AM

You are talking about the rentals from the stores?

The time frame does not apply to dvds in the mail, does it?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2005 - 01:18 PM

Yes ...In store has the limit ...... BTW I see they got a free trial offer now
online is diff, no due date

http://www.blockbuster.com/homepages/displ...tmore&nav=false

Edited by boopme, 23 October 2005 - 01:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users