Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yet another Redirect Thread

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 C011337

C011337

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:44 PM

Hello!

As the topic says, I am having issues with my browser opening new tabs at random when clicking links. I was using Google Chrome. I've tested with Firefox and IE8 and still have the redirect problem. I thought it only happened when searching with google.com, but it happened while clicking a link on this website after typing the address into the address bar.

I'm not sure if AV Security Suite is connected with this issue, but I did end up getting it. I ran Spyware Doctor/Malwarebytes' in Safe Mode with networking to get rid of it. After restarting normally, I was still getting redirected. After running Spyware Doctor/Malwarebytes'/Ad-Aware/CWShredder/HijackThis/CCleaner/Microsoft Security Essentials and finding nothing after running multimple times (in normal and Safe mode with networking), I decided to give up and reformat. Clean install. No Windows.old folder. Everything deleted. And I am STILL getting redirected randomly.

Using Windows 7.

As I have reformatted, I have no logs.

I will download HijackThis and post a log here in a reply (just wanted to get this submitted first).

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:53 PM

Try resetting your router as the DNS setting may have been changed by the malware.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 C011337

C011337
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:59 PM

Ah, I did what jdbaker82 suggested in a different thread and changed my router settings to Get DNS automatically from ISP.

Hopefully this fixes everything, and thank you for the reply.

Edit:

Random update if anyone comes across this.

My computer doesn't appear to be having the redirecting problem, but another computer connected to the router is. (That computer also had the same issues mine did with AV Security Suite, which was deleted from it. Did not reformat it.)

Edited by C011337, 06 July 2010 - 09:11 PM.

#4 jdbaker82

jdbaker82

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:25 PM

Ah, I did what jdbaker82 suggested in a different thread and changed my router settings to Get DNS automatically from ISP.

Edit:

My computer doesn't appear to be having the redirecting problem, but another computer connected to the router is. (That computer also had the same issues mine did with AV Security Suite, which was deleted from it. Did not reformat it.)

Check DNS settings for the adapter for that computer that is still having problems is it wireless or hard wired? Are the redirects similar? Result5.google?

#5 C011337

C011337
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:55 PM

Edit:

Check DNS settings for the adapter for that computer that is still having problems is it wireless or hard wired? Are the redirects similar? Result5.google?

Hard wired to the same router mine is connected to. And yes, similar redirects to result5.google.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users