Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

downloads

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 noonytunes

noonytunes

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 05 October 2004 - 06:39 AM

:thumbsup: Hi! I don't know if I'm on the right board....8 days ago I had to apply Application Recovery, losing most of my files. I have an HP 7955 and Windows XP. I have been downloading, bit by bit, all week, trying to pre-empt for downloading SP2. I'm not really knowledgeable about this. I had most everything from Software and Drivers download page...Last night I ran McAfee virus scan. (I'm a subscriber.) Anyway, no viruses, but 5 "potentially unwanted programs". It seems they are ones that I just downloaded from the HP site. I couldn't clean them; I just quarantined them. Do you think this will interfere with downloading and running SP2?
noonytunes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noonytunes

noonytunes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:52 AM

:thumbsup: Just thought I'd post the response I got from HP support:

When an Anti virus software is unable to detect the type of file or the
file does not exist in the database of the Anti virus software, it
detects it as suspicious script or unwanted programs. This behavior is
normal and you need not worry about it.

So, I listed the ones found and sent it to them.

Any input still appreciated.

:flowers:
noonytunes

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:46 AM

Some AVs will show some scripts, and programs, as potential viruses, even though they aren't.
If it's a site you trust, don't worry about it.
Basically....., what HP support said.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users