Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer does not boot with hard drive, after wipe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:18 PM

I had to wipe a drive with DBAN, because it's leaving the facility to go to one of our employees.

On reboot, after DBAN completed, I get a black screen. No beep code, no nothing. Lights on the front of the case for CD-ROM, hdd and power all read as green, as if the machine were functioning normally.

I remove the hard drive I just wiped and power it on with a live distro (ubuntu 10.04) in the drive. Boots right up. No errors from keyboard, mouse or video.

This has got me stumped. Did DBAN just brick my hard drive (I've used DBAN dozens of times here at work without incident - it would seem unlikely)? Or is there something more I need to consider to bring this thing back to life?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:57 PM

You never posted the hard drives manufacturer, but there are utilities that can correct problems with hard drives, but the programs are hardware specific.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

WD200, Western Digital Caviar

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

Use the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for floppy or cd from Western Digital

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 DnDer

DnDer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

I ran both tests on the disc and received no errors. Since then, I've been able to install 10.04 on it as planned.

Thank you for at least letting me know that the hard drive is working fine.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:04 PM

Well it sounds like everything has worked out in your favor.

I really hope that is the case. :thumbsup:

Enjoy! UBUNTU is a great OS, I've been using it on and off for a few months now, on this computer as a second OS and on another system as a dedicated single OS.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users