Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop MXM Card

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 zekkie

zekkie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

About a month ago, my wife's laptop started making BIOS beeps when it would POST...1 long and 2 short, indicating a graphics adapter error. She has an Acer Aspire 5920 with Windows 7. So since her warranty was up, I went ahead and bought a new MXM card and installed that. Now it does boot and everything looks great for about 15-20 seconds before it goes choppy and horizontal blue lines appear on the monitor. Safe mode, normal start, last known good configuration, startup repair...nothing works. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zekkie

zekkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:46 PM

Forgot to mention that I also tried reseating the card and the RAM...no luck.

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

Do the fans still work? Maybe it is overheating? Is it compatible? Acer uses Nvidia and it has to be the same version as your mother board.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

Laptops do have BIOS settings just like desktops, you may have to adjust a BIOS setting related to the video processor in the BIOS setup utility, or perhaps a BIOS Firmware update may be needed.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 zekkie

zekkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:50 AM

New development...I've noticed that my MXM card gets very hot very fast. It'll work for about 5 seconds if it's already super hot. I decided to let it cool down all the way and run it with the case off. It ran great for about 10 minutes until, sure enough, it got super hot again, the graphics began to garble, and that was the end of it. It is literally so hot that it hurts to touch it, but ONLY that part of the laptop is that hot. The rest of it gets warm but not any warmer than it used to get. Is there some way I can fix this? It's an Acer Aspire 5920g, if you were wondering, with Windows 7. The fan is working, too (but obviously not well enough).

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

I find it alarming that its getting that hot that it's causing the card to act up like that.

I am not aware of any posted known hardware issues on the web site for this peripheral, but I am curious if yours contains a manufacturer defect of some sort.

As far as cooling goes, it is difficult to add internal cooling aids to laptops because of space limitations.

You could try one of those cooling pads that you sit the laptop on, but of course you can't have those attached while you're on the go.

I am trying to think of a reason why your video processor is running so hot. I can not imagine that it is supposed to do that under normal conditions, seriously I can't.

You may want to see if there is a cooling fan Assembly that will fit on the MXM card to help cool it down.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 zekkie

zekkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:47 AM

I will check that out...do you think contacting Acer would help at all? It seems like a defect in the laptop...the inside is very poorly constructed (only one fan, MXM card had no thermal paste or pads underneath it, but I have some for the new one).

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

It seriously wouldn't hurt to contact Acer, I would seriously advise that you do contact them and tell them what you have told us here in this forum.

I will agree that some hardware monitoring programs can be flakey at times, but your sense of touch can't be wrong.

Please contact them and post back here how things turn out, because there may be others out there that can learn from your experience. :thumbsup:

Best of luck to you.

Bruce.

#9 zekkie

zekkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:06 PM

I will do that...thanks for the help.

#10 zekkie

zekkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:24 AM

I figured it out. The GPU core was not making good contact with the heatsink through the thermal pad because I am a dope. Thanks for your help. :thumbsup: Learn from my mistakes! Haha.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:46 AM

I am glad to hear you resolved your problem and the fact you posted back here what you did to resolve the problem.

This helps others who may encounter the same problem as you have experienced.

Happy computing!

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users