Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

rundll32.exe. Two processes with the same name

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 radovitch

radovitch

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:25 PM

I am running windows 7 (64bit) and am using a program called Tiny Watcher. This runs at startup and checks for any changes in the running processes occurring during the start up. Usually I am able to rundown any anomalies but the following has me stumped:

Process rundll32.exe C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rundll.exe Another process is using the same name but a different executable file. Unretrievable path.

Now I am well aware of what rundll32.exe is but how do I go about checking on this mysterious second process? Tiny Watcher gives me the option of removing it, should I?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:36 PM

Try reading this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64

Although there are viruses called by this name, scanning the file with virus/ Anti-malware scanners may help determine if yours is an infected variant or not.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 angstfeardoubt

angstfeardoubt

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

rundll32.exe is used to run program DLLs in the system so you may encounter multiple instances of it running. They may or may not be legit though.

Kindly check this link.

#4 radovitch

radovitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for the links. I have run the usual battery of anti virus and anti malware programs and turned up nothing. Process explorer hasn't found any unusual instances of this either so I am inclined to think that it's harmless.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

So with that being said, I think you are in good shape then.

But it is always better to be safe then sorry, so there is no harm done in asking others for advice on something you are not sure about. :huh:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users