Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to learn to program, where should I start?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Master Qiang

Master Qiang

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:38 AM

I was wondering if I should learn C++ and get some programing skills that might help me in the future. What do you think I should learn first and what kind of books and such should I read for it? I am really interested in it. :thumbsup:

Also I am kind of considering trying to make my own anti-virus or anti-spyware to test on someday, I don't think it will become anything major like Avast, AVG or something like that. Learning to program might help me understand malware better as well.

Edited by Master Qiang, 06 July 2010 - 11:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Adam17

Adam17

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

Programming can be quite a bit of fun. As for what language you want to learn I think it depends on exactly what you want to make and what platform you want to concentrate on. For example, if you are running Linux Python can be a nice language to help get you started or perl. Although these aren't the most powerful languages in the world. C and C++ are very closely related. Once you learn one learning the other will take no time at all. I personally would recommend learning C before C++, but that is just a personal preference. Many would say that it doesn't matter where you start. As for the making an antivirus, this would be very ambitious and honestly impossible for one person to do. It takes hundreds of programmers working to reverse engineer malware and create individual definitions for them that interface with the AV. The AV reads these definitions to determine rather of not a sample is malware. It is a large, time consuming, and expensive undertaking. If you are interested in learning C I would recommend a book called C Primer Plus by Stephen Prata. For C++ I'd recommend C++ from the ground up by Herbert Schildt. If you are running on linux and are interested in learning how to program GUIs at the same time that you're learning to program C++ then a great guide is Introduction to Design patterns in C++ with QT4

Teaching yourself programming really isn't too difficult though. I've managed to teach myself C, C++, php, perl and a tiny bit of assembly and python. It just takes time and perseverance. Also don't be afraid to ask for help.

#3 Master Qiang

Master Qiang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:29 PM

Thanks Adam, I will look at that. You're right it will take time, but in the end it will be worth it. :thumbsup: I will also ask for help defiantly

Edited by Master Qiang, 06 July 2010 - 07:30 PM.

#4 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

I would try to learn website programing...

Its fun to learn you can use Notepad from windows and you can easily see your website programing skills in action....

Go here and learn html.... http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

This will get your feet wet if you are a beginer and would help you learn principles of programing.

There are many languages so start small... :thumbsup:

Edited by JUICYboy, 06 July 2010 - 09:44 PM.

#5 Adam17

Adam17

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:15 PM

HTML technically isn't programming though. HTML is for formatting. The only was you will learn programming through web development is PHP or ASP. Javascript isn't great to use for beginning simply because it's not at all object oriented.

#6 ZaneTech

ZaneTech

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:34 AM

Web programming won't make programs which is what he's after... anyways, just as it's been said before, start with C or C++ (I started with the latter)

#7 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

If you want to learn programming, there are a couple of simple steps: (1) decide what you want to program (think of some examples, eg games, tools, etc.), (2) pick a language based on step (1), (3) go to the library and check out a couple of real, physical, paper books on the subject (especially “teach yourself… in … days/hours” books), (4) read the books (real, physical, paper books are best because you can read anytime and anywhere—and without wasting electricity—eg bed, on the bus, in line, etc.).

Once you have picked a language and gotten a few chapters in (to be sure that it is indeed what you want), then you will want to get a compiler so that you can compile some of the samples in the books to see it work for yourself.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#8 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:53 AM

I would try to learn website programing...

Its fun to learn you can use Notepad from windows and you can easily see your website programing skills in action....

Go here and learn html.... http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

This will get your feet wet if you are a beginer and would help you learn principles of programing.

There are many languages so start small... :thumbsup:

I agree that technically html isn't programming, it's just website formatting language. I do however believe that it is a great starting point if you'd like to take it slow and want more practice, etc it gives you a better feel for coding and a look into what your getting into in the future. To me it helps alot.

#9 VaudeVillianVeteran

VaudeVillianVeteran

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

I agree with HTML being the best base. It helps you ease into different languages.
I personally find OOP alot harder to learn than JScript, mostly because of how it's taught in online tutorials.
Making a Web App may be the best way to ease yourself into programming in my opinion, but it all depends on the way you learn and the way you want to work.
And finally, isn't C# the best C derivative at the moment? I heard it's the most flexible to use but I don't know it myself.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

I personally find OOP alot harder to learn than JScript, mostly because of how it's taught in online tutorials.

I'm a bit confused by what you mean exactly. Javascript is a language, OOP is a programming paradigm. Everything in Javascript is an object. The OOP paradigm can be utilized with Javascript. If I may draw an absurd example, this is sort of like saying "I personally find abstract expressionism harder to drive that a Toyota." :thumbsup:

isn't C# the best C derivative at the moment

Best for what?

#11 VaudeVillianVeteran

VaudeVillianVeteran

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:25 AM

I'm a bit confused by what you mean exactly. Javascript is a language, OOP is a programming paradigm. Everything in Javascript is an object. The OOP paradigm can be utilized with Javascript. If I may draw an absurd example, this is sort of like saying "I personally find abstract expressionism harder to drive that a Toyota." :thumbsup:

In all the tutorials I've read for object oriented programming, it's been represented by using 'families' of objects and such and has left me more than a little confused.

isn't C# the best C derivative at the moment

Best for what?
As I added afterwards, I've heard from multiple sources that C# is more flexible than C++ or C.

Answers in bold.

#12 ieü

ieü

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:51 AM

I think,first of all you should learn C and then C++(OOP)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users