Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes Ineffective; Win32 Error; Search Result Links Redirecting; etc.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aujus3

aujus3

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:58 AM

This will be my first time posting to this site. I am pretty stuck with a computer at work that I am as of yet unable to fix.

The symptoms are these:

The browsers (both IE and Firefox) take you to URLs when they are typed directly into the Address field, but when you click on a link within a page, you are redirected to one of many different seemingly random advertisement sites. I am not getting pop-up windows, however.

The computer is not allowing a log-in script to map network drives on the computer; the same log-in script worked recently in the past, and the same network shares can be navigated to using start>run>\\path\folder

At unpredictable times, and somewhat rarely, there is a standard Windows error message pop-up saying something about a Win32 app has experienced problems and needs to close (send report, don't send, etc.). I will get the exact message if it is needed.

I have used Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, none of which have removed the infection completely, if at all. I have switched from McAfee to free avast! AV software and run a full scan and it finds no malware. I have tried all of this from both standard bootup and while in safe mode; same problems occur.

I humbly request some help from your experts. Please advise how to proceed (i.e. what software logs you need first, etc). Thank you!

-Aaron

Edited by Orange Blossom, 06 July 2010 - 06:08 PM.
Move to AII as no logs posted and prep. guide not followed. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:01 PM

Welcome to BC

Since you say this a work computer, have you contacted and advised your IT Department? In most work environments, the IT staff implement specific policies and procedures for the use of computer equipment and related resources. In fact, many companies will require you to read those policies and sign a statement of understanding. These official procedures are designed and implemented to provide security and certain restrictions to protect the network. This allows all users to safely use business resources with minimum risk of malware infection, illegal software, and exposure to inappropriate Internet sites or other prohibited activity. We will not assist with attempts to circumvent those policies or security measures.

Our forums are set up to help the home computer user deal with issues and questions relating to personal computers. We are not equipped to involve ourselves in any legal issues that may arise due to loss of business data and loss of revenue as a result of malware infection or the disinfection process which in some instances require reformatting and reinstallation of the operating system. Further, many helpers are not familiar with Servers and many of the tools we use are restricted to non-commercial use by their creators.

A business IT staff generally has established procedures in place to deal with issues and infections on client machines on the network. As such, they may not approve of employees seeking help at an online forum or outside the business office as doing so could interfere or cause problems with their removal methods. The malware you are dealing with may have infected the network. If that's the case, the IT Department needs to be advised right away so they can take the appropriate disinfection measures.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users