Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Corrupted Files

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Stocker

Stocker

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:28 AM

Posted Image

This happens to all software installed after I changed my start orb using resource hacker and my desktop icons. Any clue why this happened?

I tried repair install but it was still the same so I was looking at everything that might be related. I noticed that "C:\Users\[ Name]\AppData\Local\Temp\{973ACF68-9D5F-4552-A1F5-FCD41CDAC91C}\" should be the Use Source and instead "AppData\Local\Temp\" folder is empty.

Things I had done on that day:
*I used "Take Ownership" on the entire Windows folder
*I ran CCleaner's registry cleaner after changing start orb with resource hacker
*I changed desktop and superbar icons
*Installed Photoshop

- But I repair installed so those shouldn't be related, right?

I know you can use Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to fix it but the problem will come back the next time you repair/install/uninstall it.

Edited by Stocker, 06 July 2010 - 09:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:39 AM

Using registry cleaners is not a very good idea, they delete keys that should not be deleted and cause more problems then they are worth.

Here's a suggestion, hopefully these will help.

Check system restore to see if you can roll your computer back the before you made this change. (hopefully you did make a restore point, if not lesson learned, always back up your system before initiating tweaks such as this!)

Go to this link for Windows 7, hopefully it will correct any issues you have. http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/sandbox...S%2Fdefault.htm

Click accept and allow the scanner to install and run and hopefully it will fix everything. Its worth a shot.

If not, then go to the command prompt and type SFC /SCANNOW

Keep your Windows 7 DVD handy in case it is needed.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 July 2010 - 11:43 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

Nevermind I just found out only 3 software were corrupted and those are most likely gonna stay

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:43 PM

Nevermind I just found out only 3 software were corrupted and those are most likely gonna stay

Not sure what you mean they are corrupted and are gonna stay, if they are corrupted, for what-ever reason, it is best to uninstall them and re-install them again.

Corruption could be early signs of a hard drive read/write/controllor failure, or the programs were installed from damaged or corrupted media.

You should try to correct the problem if it still exists.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:10 AM

Hey I was able to reproduce this corruption by taking ownership of the entire Windows folder. What should I do? How do I reset security permission and undo the stuff.

Edited by Stocker, 07 July 2010 - 12:10 AM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:17 AM

I would take it you right clicked the folder called Windows and then clicked properties then some how entered the permissions of the folder and all of its files correct?

You need to go back there and make the changes under the SECURITY tab.

Either use the EDIT button or ADVANCED button and make the changes you need from there.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:19 AM

You'll have to reverse what changes you made, if you fail to figure it out, try using system restore to restore to a time before you made those changes, it should put you back where you were origionally.

#8 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:22 AM

Thanks I'll try that

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:50 AM

You're welcome, please keep us posted if your successful, or if your lost I'll try to give you more details about returning the permissions back, but you should be familiar with how to undo what you did, by at least being in the same general area, that is of course if system restore has also failed to restore you back to before you made those changes.

#10 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:59 AM

I have no restore point from that so I guess I'll have to do it manually?

#11 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:45 AM

I found out the corruption was done to the software and not the windows file so the repair install I did wasn't helping. And at the end I had to reinstall Windows... Well, at least I learned a lesson on backing up. Anyways, thanks for your effort MrBruce1959!

Alternative solution number 1:
1. use Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
2. delete all folders/files of the software
3. manually remove all registry of software
4. repeat steps on other corrupted software

* I'd rather do a reinstall as this takes longer depending on how many software is corrupted

Alternative solution number 2:
1. use a full system backup images
or
2. use Recent restore points

* These are the best options but sadly I didn't backup, how stupid was I!

Edited by Stocker, 08 July 2010 - 05:46 AM.

#12 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

Once your computer is clean and running properly you can make a backup very easy in windows 7. Start button and type (backup) and go from there. You can do the same thing with (create a restore point). This way you won't get caught without a back up and restore point again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users