Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Port Forwarding issue 2 routers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tdowis

tdowis

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

Hi all, Im trying to set up RDC and a ftp server on my server. Im having an issue with port forwarding. Here's what i've done so far: First, in my motorola modem, I forwarded port 3389 to the static ip of the machine that i want to remote into. RDC is enabled on the machine because i can remote into it on my local network. So i went outside my network and tried to remote in and it told me the connection couldn't be found. So i forwarded the same port in my linksys router to the static and that didn't work. So i forwarded that port in my motorola to the ip address of the linksys router. Still didn't work. So i changed the ip address of my motorola modem to the same range as my linksys router. (motorola modem was 192.168.1.1 and that fed my linksys router which was 192.168.50.1, so i changed the motorola router to 192.168.50.2) Still had internet, the network still worked correctly, except that i lost the ability to connect to the motorola modem from within in the network, but i could still with a machine plugged directly into the motorola modem.

So here's my setup:

Motorola 3347 Modem (Qwest DSL) to a machine running xp pro with ICS enabled (Firewalls off no internet security) to My linksys WRT54GS2 Router to a 24 port switch

RDC works fine within my local network. Everything is working fine the way its all set up, i just cant remote in outside of my network using my ip address.

hope someone can help me with this as i need to get my ftp server set up right away..

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

i will have to learn RDC (remote desktop?) as we go. if you are trying to remote in from the internet you have to use the ip that your modem acquired from your ISP (internet service provider). 192.168.x.x will not work outside the local network.
you can get your ip from a site like http://whatsmyip.com

#3 tdowis

tdowis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:27 AM

Thank you for your reply caperdog, and yes i know that. I am pretty savy with remote desktop and port forwarding. I have about a dozen businessess set up that i log into and do "housecleaning" So i use the ip address that my isp assigns me and it tells me that the host cannot be found. Since the first post, I have taken the "web" computer out of the loop, changed my qwest router address back to 192.168.1.1, and left my linksys at 192.168.50.x. So i try to ping my ip address and it wont ping, just says "request timed out". So i set my router up to remote admin, and i can log into it using the ip address assigned by my isp.......

#4 tdowis

tdowis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:48 AM

And as far as remote desktop (rdc), i can give u a quick rundown, its a fantastic tool if you need to access your computer or server at work or a computer at home, rdc will bring the printer and sound back to the computer you are remoteing from. One of the businessess i service has 2 locations about 100 miles apart, from the other location they just remote into the server and do the books, that illeviates having to have another copy of their accounting program and having to integrate data. rdc has to be turned on under the system icon in the control panel. then you can remote into that computer from any other computer on the network. if remoteing in from the internet, the router (on the other end) has to have port 3389 forwarded to the ip address of the computer you want to control. Rdc works best on windows xp pro, server 2003 and server 2008. I haven't tried it on windows 7 yet. My 2 servers are windows xp pro and server 2003. You can remote in from any operating system, but the computer to be controlled has to have terminal server installed which ive never got to work on an xp home or vista machine yet.

#5 tdowis

tdowis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

Still nobody has any ideas? I'm thinkin it cant be that hard, im just missing a little something...

#6 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

Have you tried to check if the port was really open?

Try using a port scanner from the internet to your setup. There are a lot of port scanners online available for your disposal.

If the from the internet, the port is blocked then you should start troubleshooting ISO style. PDNTSPA style....

Things you can do...

Run netstat -ano on the Server to check if the port is even on listening state.
Set the the machine on DMZ state on the linksys router.
If all else fails work from scratch. Connect the server to the Qwest modem. And check if the ports are working.
Your setup has two NAT systems, your Qwest modem is a modem/router as well as the Linksys router. NAT behind a NAT is often times is not that good.

Edited by kennzsniper, 07 July 2010 - 03:52 PM.

Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#7 tdowis

tdowis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:23 AM

Ah... Didn't think about running the port scanner to see if the port is really open.... Ill do all that when i get to work.. Good Ideas! Thank you, Ill try all that. I did consider taking the linksys router out of the loop to try it and see if it would work. Another question, since im using my linksys as my dhcp server, should i turn off dhcp in the motorola modem? if so will it still feed internet to the linksys router?

#8 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:25 PM

Your DHCP settings should be ok. They are both operating on 2 different NATs anyway and they use different IP addresses.

Let us know what happens... ^_^
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#9 tdowis

tdowis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:00 AM

I checked the server and the port for rdc is listening. at any rate, since last post, i had one of my help try to config a different router to be repeater instead of it's own router, in the process he logged into the wrong router, needless to say, the whole network went down, so i had to take the linksys out of the loop. After i did that, rdc worked like it should outside my network. so it was the linksys router. so when i get the routers back in the loop then we'll see what happens there..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users