Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Xp Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 whiz

whiz

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:40 AM

Hi All,

Some help needed please. I have recently had a new hard drive with windows XP home installed fitted to a relations computer. When the system boots up it no longer recognises that there are CD & DVD drives fitted. Neither of these drives appear in the lists when you select ' My computer' How can I get these drives up and working again ? There is also a recurring problem of windows rebooting itself for no reason. I'd like to do a complete clean install but dont know how. Obviously I cant boot up from the XP CD as the drives are inoperative. Help !!
Also getting a Sec master ATAPI incompatible and Sec slave ATAPI incompatible warnings during boot up

Edited by whiz, 17 October 2005 - 10:57 AM.

Ignorance is the enemy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 11:00 AM

Sounds like you need to contact whomever botched...I mean put in the new drive.

You paid for something better.

Louis

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 12:53 PM

If neither the DVD or the CD drive are recognized, are they on the same cable? One as a master, and one as a slave?

If so, perhaps the cable has come disconnected from the motherboard, or perhaps the cable is damaged, cut perhaps?

Also check to see if the drive that is connected to the end of the cable has the proper jumper setting, i.e. master, and the other drive has a different jumper setting, i.e. slave.

Does this steer you in the right direction?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 whiz

whiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:00 AM

If neither the DVD or the CD drive are recognized, are they on the same cable? One as a master, and one as a slave?

If so, perhaps the cable has come disconnected from the motherboard, or perhaps the cable is damaged, cut perhaps?

Also check to see if the drive that is connected to the end of the cable has the proper jumper setting, i.e. master, and the other drive has a different jumper setting, i.e. slave.

Does this steer you in the right direction?

Yes both the CD and DVD are on the same cable. I have checked and the connections and the cable seem fine. How can I check the jumper settings to tell which is master and slave ?
Ignorance is the enemy

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 06:52 AM

How can I check the jumper settings to tell which is master and slave ?

Well, on the back of each drive there are some small metal pins, and across two of the pins is a small plastic piece called a jumper. The jumper has to be across the proper two pins in order to work correctly.

The drive that is attached to the END of the cable is the MASTER, the other drive will be the SLAVE.

If you look closely at each drive (you may have to remove the drive for this) there may be a label that tells you where to put the jumper to configure the device for being the slave or the master. Or if there is no label, then in small letters, in the plastic, usually next to or near the pins and jumper, you will see some letters formed into the plastic. MA, SL, and CS. MA means master, SL means slave, CS means cable select. You may need to move the jumper into the correct setting if they are not there already.

(Usually the MA is at one end, and the SL is in the middle, but not always! Yours may be different!)

If you get the jumpers right, and the cable is good, then we will have to check some other things out. But while you are in there, remove the cable and check for any bent pins on the motherboard or on the drives. It is quite easy to bend pins while attaching these devices.

Let us know how you made out.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 whiz

whiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:17 AM

Thanks Albert,

I will be able to have a look at the PC again tomorrow and I'll let you know what I find.
Thanks for your help so far

Whiz
Ignorance is the enemy

#7 whiz

whiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:23 AM

Hi Albert,

OK, everything with the cable and jumpers appears to be fine, no cuts or breaks in the cable. Jumpers are in the correct place, no bent pins on motherboard or anywhere else. I downloaded a driver and tried to install it from a floppy which pops up an error saying 'An installable Virtual Device Driver failed initialization. Choose close to terminate' I found an explanation of this error on google and went through the process of editing the registry with no change in the symptoms. The strange thing is when I ask the PC to search for a driver in my floppy drive, it starts the floppy drive and looks for a few seconds then tells me that it cant find a better driver than I already have installed. If I already have drivers installed then why wont the drives read any discs and why when I select 'control panel - system - hardware' doI get a yellow warning symbol with a black cross on my CD and DVD drives ? :thumbsup:
Ignorance is the enemy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users