Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo laptop heat issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sock Monster

Sock Monster

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:25 AM

Hi, I own a Lenovo G450 with the following specs:
Intel Pentium Dual Core T4300 2.1GHz
2 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce G105M with 512 MB Dedicated Video Memory

I'm having heat issues that lead to automatic shutdowns and I've taken rather drastic measures to try and fix it. Here's a timeline of sorts:

1. Place laptop on table, use cooling pad. No luck, GPU temperature rises to 110-120 deg Celsius within five minutes and shuts system down.

2. Use compressed air can to clean out fan. No luck. Same 'record time'.

3. Point a stand air conditioner at exhaust. Works, but since I'm staying at a foreign student's dormitory now, that isn't possible anymore, since we're not allowed to keep them; also, power consumption and bills go up, so no go.

Idle temperatures are around 60 deg C for the GPU, 58 tops for the CPU. Under load (before crash), 120 C for the GPU, 87 C for the CPU.

Said load involves ANY kind of game that makes use of the GPU - Bejeweled Blitz (with 3d acceleration off), Call of Duty 4, Team Fortress 2 and more recently, DJ MAX Trilogy, even at lowest resolution and graphics settings! Also tested with Adobe Photoshop CS3 - max load temps are 87C when working with filters in A4 300 dpi, with CS4, 120 (crash temp), with CS5, 120 (crash temp as well)

If anyone knows a solution to this, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm frustrated with the fact that I can't even play the games I buy-hell, even do work I was supposed to do-without this laptop overheating.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

Just a suggestion, you could try dismantle the laptop to gain access to the processor, see if you can remove the heat sink, if this is possible, you can observe if there is a white grease called heat sink thermal paste on the heat sink, or a grey pad, which actually is a cheap solution for a heat transfer medium!

If you see such a pad, remove it as carefully as you can and clean off the heat sink surface and the processor core, apply artec brand silver formula 5 thermal paste to both surfaces, being neat about it and placing the heat sink securely in its original position.

Make sure there is no dust in those heat sink fins while you have the internal parts exposed, once everything checks out OK, close the laptop back up and recheck everything during the process.

Now try booting it up again and see how long it runs for before shutting down. Hopefully it won't and everything will be be as it should.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Sock Monster

Sock Monster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:23 AM

Haven't done that, but thanks for the tip anyways. I'll try that when I'm confident enough to tinker with the insides of my laptop without ruining anything.
I did get one of those vacuum-type notebook coolers that you hook to your laptop's exhaust grill, and now I can play Modern Warfare 2 and Warcraft for a few hours. Starcraft 2, DJ Max Trilogy and a couple others still manage to bring my laptop down to its knees, though.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:22 AM

At this link below you can download a free copy of the manual that goes to your G450 laptop.

You do not have to include your email on this download page, just enter the code displayed in the blank box provided and the download box will appear, save it to your desktop.

I have already downloaded this PDF document and scanned it with several scanners, it came up clean for viruses, malware or other malisious code. (otherwise I would not have offered this download to you)

This manual, may help you with the proceedures I spoke of above.

Please keep us informed.

The link: http://www.retrevo.com/support/Lenovo-G450...23541ci653/t/2/

Good luck.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users