Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DirectX problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cullism

cullism

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:53 AM

My monitor is showing flickering lines. When I play Age of Empires the flickering continues and, after a while, the AOE screen disappears and is replaced by a black rectangle at the top left of the screen. Pressing the Windows button on the keyboard temporarily returns the AOE screen but the problem recurs a minute or so later.

This happened originally in January but I was able to fix it by deleting a line in the registry and restarting the computer. Unfortunately I didn't keep a note of the line I deleted. I am assuming that Windows replaced the line when I rebooted. I should mention that in my attempts to fix the problem back in December I was able to determine that the problem related to DirectX 11 (I have Vista Business).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

Can you post a picture of this from a camera? It could indicate a failing video card as well. Games use the level of directx required.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

Have you checked for the most up-to-date video drivers for your video card?

Have you tried running the DirectX 11 diagnostic trouble shooter?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 cullism

cullism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

I have an integrated video card (or so I'm told) and the drivers are up to date. I Have run dxdiag which found no problems. If I posted a photo of the screen it would just show a black rectangle in the top left of the screen. When this happened previously in January I attempted to uninstall DirectX 11 and install DirectX 10. Somebody on another forum suggested I remove or change a line in the registry then reboot. Having done all this I found that I still had DirectX 11 (there was no sign of DirectX 10) however my problem had vanished. Six months later it has returned! Unfortunately I cannot locate the helpful suggestion.

is there a line in the registry which has to do with DirectX?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:14 PM

Perform this: Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

#6 cullism

cullism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:10 AM

I ran Speccy as suggested. The link is below, however i have attached the resulting XML file as well.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/eAHGbqHhPH71bepPS1by9E9

Device Manager says I have up to date drivers. How do I know if my graphics card supports DirectX 11? Even if it doesn't, I can't uninstall 11 and install 10 (I've tried).

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

Would this be for Age of Empires 1, 2, or 3?

Your video card only supports DirectX 9.0c, and it probably doesn't provide DirectX Hardware Acceleration. Your video card is probably inadequate. Can you go here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResu...hics+Controller and download the most recent driver. But I can tell you your lap top isn't/wasn't designed for gaming.

#8 cullism

cullism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

Age of Empires 1 and 2. I don't have a laptop, it's a Lenovo 3000 desk top. I had no problems with games until last January, by which time the computer was going on 3 years old. I am not sure whether it came with DirectX 11 or whether I updated it at some point. If what you say is true, is there any way of reverting to DirectX 9?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:22 PM

Age of Empires 1 and 2. I don't have a laptop, it's a Lenovo 3000 desk top. I had no problems with games until last January, by which time the computer was going on 3 years old. I am not sure whether it came with DirectX 11 or whether I updated it at some point. If what you say is true, is there any way of reverting to DirectX 9?

Your hardware is incapable of doing DirectX 10 or above. It only does DirectX 9, and some of it is at the software level. You would also have to be running Vista or Windows 7 to get DirectX 10 or above with a video card that support it.

If your video card doesn't support DirectX 10 or above then you will use DirectX 9 regardless, and same goes for your OS.

You have Software DirectX 11 which uses software aka your CPU to render as opposed to DirectX 9 at the hardware level.

#10 cullism

cullism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:42 AM

cryptodam,

My Lenovo came with Vista Business installed, though I'm not sure which version of DirectX was installed. Are you saying that I should be using DirectX 9? If so, how can I replace 11 with 9? I am told that DirectX is an integral part of Vista and cannot be uninstalled. Are you able to help me solve the problem?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:06 AM

cryptodam,

My Lenovo came with Vista Business installed, though I'm not sure which version of DirectX was installed. Are you saying that I should be using DirectX 9? If so, how can I replace 11 with 9? I am told that DirectX is an integral part of Vista and cannot be uninstalled. Are you able to help me solve the problem?

You are missing the point, even though you have Vista and DirectX 11 you will not get DirectX 11 Support from your hardware. You will only get DirectX 9c Vertex and Pixel Shader version 2.0 with DirectX 9c Vertex Shader 3.0 in software. You cannot go any higher then that.

You may need to download the latest video card drivers from Intel to give you better support.

#12 cullism

cullism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:45 PM

It doesn't sound like I can do much about my problem. Strangely enough, it has rectified itself over the last week or so. This happened back in January but the problem returned six months later. At the moment Age of Empires works fine.

#13 cullism

cullism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:03 PM

The problem returned yesterday. In frustration I googled something like "video problem" and got a Microsoft help site with advice specifically relating to screen flicker. It suggested de-gaussing the monitor and also informed me that flickering can be caused by electronic interference or tangled cables. This sounded promising as the problem wasn't continuous (as I assumed it would be if I had a faulty video card). With some difficulty I managed to deg-gauss the monitor and, sure enough, the flickering stopped. Unfortunately Age of Empires still dropped out. I will now check out the state of entanglement of mu cables and move my wireless phone further away from the monitor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users