Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Lettering in C: drive/Annoying Windows Message

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jek1862

jek1862

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:11 AM

I have two issues:

1) On my C: drive, it now says fvrfvrv (C:). What is this ''fvrfvrv'' and how can I get rid of it.

2) I get an annoying Windows popup message on startup and during operation it pops on when I remove it. It says: ''Windows has blocked some startup programs. Windows blocks programs that require permission to run when Windows starts. Click to view blocked programs.'' When I click it, up comes up Windows Defender. However, on everything's ''classification'' it says ''permitted''. I would like to know why I am getting this message and how to stop it.

Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 06 July 2010 - 04:49 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:20 AM

When a program is blocked it is being seen as a program that might be harmful to your computer, you can enable it to run by right clicking the execurtable and in properties choosing run as Administrator. the program will now run as if it has full permission.

Something has renamed your drive C: it appears, how or why? is not known, maybe another user of your computer did it?

Right click C: and choose RENAME and rename it local disk. (That is if we're talking about the name of your C: hard drive, if not, I misunderstood your question.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 July 2010 - 02:21 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 jek1862

jek1862
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:21 AM

I did the renaming to empty and the letters are now gone. How they got there in the first place, I don't know. Maybe some malware, as no one but I uses this computer. I did want to report the following information:
I ran my Avira anti-virus and did a scan. While I did not pick up any viruses, etc., it DID pick up a whopping 138 "hidden objects". I did not know what "hidden objects" meant so I did some checking around and it seems 'hidden objects' are system files and that some malware is in my system to have caused this result. I do regular maintenance for malware with several good pieces of software, and haven't come up with anything lately. Please reply as to what this 138 'hidden objects' results may indicate, if you have any ideas. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users