Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing XP on Dell mini

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stinkfist

stinkfist

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:43 PM

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 910 mini. It has Ubuntu Linux operating system on it. I would like to put XP. Can I do this through a USB thumb drive? It has no cd drive. Here are the specs. Also it only has 8gb hard drive..... is that enough for XP? I have read where some have ran XP on these but don't know how.

1W959FPRC,N270,1.6,512KB,DMV,C01H510GGDE,PROD,INFO ,SERI,ENG,WW1G383GGDE,PROD,INFO,WSI,ENG1U943PTSH,D RIVER DOWNLOAD,ENG1H840JTSH,UBUNTU,ENG1Y877GAssembly,Ada pter,Alternating Current,30W,2P,United States 9101M770HGuide,SETUP,Inspiron,910,English1M958HKey board,61,United States English,Single Pointing,Qiao Hong,Windows1C901HBattery,Primary,32WHR,4C Lithium,Simplo1P896HKit,Software,UBT8.04+,910 Media1Y614GLiquid Crystal Display,8.9WSVGA,Light Emitting Diode,True Life,Lg Philips Lcd1G558JAssembly,Cable,Low Voltage Differential Signaling,WO/CMRALCD,9101J141HASSY,BASE,NBK,WO/WWAN,9101N204HCard,Wireless,Minicard Broadcom Corporation,ARCD United States1PP102Dual In-Line Memory Module,1G 800,128X64,8,200,1GBIT1D154HSolid State Drive,8G,Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment,4GX2,STEC1N302HBezel,Liquid Crystal Display Silver,8.9,WO/CMRA,9101Y173MAssembly,Cover,Liquid Crystal Display,IMR,BLUE,Wireless Local Area Network Card,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:55 AM

There are USB DVD burners out there for laptops, you could use one of those and it will install XP right from the installation disk.
If you don't intend on keeping the drive after the install, just return it.

If you are in the USA Staples Super Stores have USB DVD burner drives that will do the trick.

Hope this helps.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:06 AM

There are USB DVD burners out there for laptops, you could use one of those and it will install XP right from the installation disk.
If you don't intend on keeping the drive after the install, just return it.

If you are in the USA Staples Super Stores have USB DVD burner drives that will do the trick.

Hope this helps.

Great I will do that thanks. Do I have to uninstall the Ubuntu Linux operating system first?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:35 AM

That would be a matter of preference, you can install XP on a second partition if you prefer, or you can use Gparted and delete the GNOME partition and start fresh with XP then install Linux on an extended partition afterwards.

Gparted can be found here at this web site http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 July 2010 - 02:39 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:41 AM

That would be a matter of preference, you can install XP on a second partition if you prefer, or you can use Gparted and delete the GNOME partition and start fresh with XP then install Linux on an extended partition afterwards.

Gparted can be found here at this web site http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/

It only has a 8gb hard drive so I would think I need to clean off as much as possible before I install XP right? How much gb space does XP need? What is the minimum?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:38 PM

With only an 8 gig hard drive I would do a clean install of XP only. That will take about 2 gig +/-.
Then you need to install all the device drivers which are available here
Install the chipset first, then video, audio, network and communications.

You will not be left with much room. About 5 gigs free
Remember that Windows needs space for the swap files, system restore files ect ect which will gobble up space rapidly
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

You can try running your xp from a flash drive because of the limited space on your hard drive
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-pocket,1113.html

Install XP from a flash drive here
http://www.pctipsbox.com/installing-window...sb-flash-drive/

Edited by Joe C, 06 July 2010 - 06:44 PM.

#8 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

With only an 8 gig hard drive I would do a clean install of XP only. That will take about 2 gig +/-.
Then you need to install all the device drivers which are available here
Install the chipset first, then video, audio, network and communications.

You will not be left with much room. About 5 gigs free
Remember that Windows needs space for the swap files, system restore files ect ect which will gobble up space rapidly

Is the 2 gig +/- XP with SP3 installed? I am getting conflicting comments..... some say I need at least 10 gig for XP. Want to make sure this is going to work before I try removing Ubuntu Linux operating system & putting XP on.

Thanks for the info.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

I just installed XP with SP 3 and all updates clean on a system yesterday. The Windows folder is 2.05 gig with 3.3 gig used total. That is with Avast, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware only and all updates.

On the system that I use daily the Windows folder is 3.4 gig but I have a lot of stuff installed.

Consider purchasing an external USB drive for additional storage for such things as pictures, music etc
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users