Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to make my computer process faster? need guidence though.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 IPT

IPT

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

Hey, I know some basics of this stuff. I swapped out an internal hardrive once so I have been inside my tower, and I know about needing to ground myself first. So, I still need some serious guidence and help. I will give you what I have installed now. The reason I want more speed is basically to edit digital photos. My camera has 21MP and shoots in RAW. I also use Adobe Lightroom 3. Basically I am not editing HD video (though my new camera takes that too so who knows what the future will bring) but I do do things that need some good processing power. BAck in the day when I upgraded to this system I was very happy with the performance upgrade. This time I am thinking about just upgrading the guts. I am fine with the optical drives and tower and stuff.

So, here is what I have (from the 2007 reciept, and "my computer" properties). A Dell XPS 410, CDCR E6700 (2.66Ghz), DCT, 4mb (Dell Dimension DXP601 Intell® Core ™ 2CPU @ 6700 GHz with 3 GB of DDR2 SDRAM @667MHZ-2X512, 2X1GB,P.

Hopefully that all means something :thumbsup:. On a more serious note, I had bought another 512 of RAM a while ago but after reading the owners manual it said only to add them in pairs and I am pretty sure it was not the same as what I have so I didn't do it.

So, back the main questions. What are my options and what do you recommend to get this system to perform faster for high detail large file photo editing? Some of the software I have installed was either bought online or I have no idea where the discs are so if I cam preserve that it would be great. Is that even possible to do or am I basically gonna have to start from scratch?

ANY thoughts, comments, suggestions appreciated VERY MUCH :huh:. Like I said though, I am sort of new to this so I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:58 PM

For high-end photo editing, you would need a video card upgrade. Unfortunately, you might also have to replace the power supply as Dell power supplies are usually barely powerful enough to power what comes with it.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:04 AM

a quad core also, could not hurt.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 IPT

IPT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:03 AM

A bunch of what I've read said the video card for straight up photo editing wasn't that important since it is static so to speak vs video which is constanty changing. I did upgrade the card though a while ago for dual monitors (to the NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT).

Give this to me a little slow, this is new to me to some extent. The quad core does seem like it could be helpful. What am I looking at regarding the difficulty to install it? Does it affect the programs already installed (or is that in the RAM and the processor just processes the information?). Aside from the "Quad core" what specs would I be looking for? Would that require a change in power supply?

About the RAM. If I decide I want to put in the other 512, I do need to change out the other one too? How does this affect the system? Am I going to lose anything or are these memory banks emptied when the system is shut down. Is there faster RAM I should look at that will work with the original? Is it expensive, maybe I should just upgrade all of the 4GB's?

OH, thanks for getting this in the proper forum as well :thumbsup:.

Edited by IPT, 06 July 2010 - 02:08 AM.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:20 AM

If you look at this benchmark with photoshop 3, you see the higher speed dual cores beating the lower speed quad cores.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop...p-CS-3,826.html
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:25 AM

If your system is not 64 bit windows, you wont be able to use more then 4 GB of RAM. I would upgrade the CPU, the more brainpower processing your work, the faster it will go, 4GB of RAM is enough to suplement that.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:29 PM

It takes time opening/working with RAW images even on later systems. You are likely working with big 25+meg files, and are at the mercy of whatever codec is opening the images, your hard drive speed, and your memory/CPU speed. In a nutshell, there might not be a single upgrade that will make your situation noticeably better. There are sometimes compatability problems with RAW codecs and 64bit OS (Panasonic Lumix being one).

You might be at the point of a new/modern system, vs a component upgrade. It's just hard to recommend an upgrade because whatever you do upgrade, it will be bottlenecked by other components in your system.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 IPT

IPT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the link, and thoughts. I might have to look into getting a faster external Hard drive.

So, for the RAM. It is correct that I need to upgrade two at a time? Any recommendations? Should I swap out all 4 banks? My guess is the extra GB of RAM would be of some benifit (but then again I am not totally sure so I am asking you guys with a LOT more knowledge and understanding :thumbsup:).

CPU - any recomendations? What would required to do the install? I've done an internal hard drive, is it much more complicated than that?

#9 CompExpert

CompExpert

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:50 PM

This is a little harder than swapping a hard drive about.

Oops! Nearly forgot! You need to know which socket number (e.g. Socket LGA 775) then you can do the following steps. Make sure the computer is off as you may make your computer REALLY unstable!

These instructions are for a Intel Processor.

1. Take off the cover and get to the fan.
2. Take off the fan with a standard screwdriver.
3. You're left with just the processor. To replace it, do the following:
4. Lift the lever or whatever releases your processor.
5. Being very, VERY careful, take out the processor and replace it with a new one.

I recommend the i3, i5, i7, or the i7 Extreme Edition. If your a bit skint, then I would get a dual-core processor.
Best to get it @ either:
http://www.amazon.com
http://www.amazon.co.uk

To put the new processor in, do the following:

6.Get the new processor out it's box (again, be REALLY careful!) and put it back in just like you took the old processor out.
7.If you got thermal paste, add a little bit on top.
8.If it came with a fan, put that on just like you took the old one off. If not, put the old one on. (This can be a bit fiddly and you may look like this: :huh: (xD)

WARNING: If you bought a newer version than the old one (e.g. you had a P4, and then bought a i7 Extreme, you will need a new fan as it will overheat.), and it didn't come with a fan, you will need to buy a new one. DO NOT use the old fan as it will overheat and will make your computer unstable.

9.Put the cover back on.
10. Voilà! :thumbsup: :huh: (Phew! That was a long one!)

Edited by CompExpert, 06 July 2010 - 02:52 PM.

Keeping computers humming since 2010.

I'm back after a long long time! :D :D

#10 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:33 PM

This is a little harder than swapping a hard drive about.
................words...............................
10. Voilà! :thumbsup: :huh: (Phew! That was a long one!)

Unless I completely misunderstood you, you really need to rethink your post as it makes no sense. Socket 775 and an i7 just won't get along too well.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#11 IPT

IPT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

"bit skint"? LOL, new term to me....what is that :thumbsup:?

So, it doesn't sound too bad. I guess if you've done it tons of times it's not. How about for a newbie? What fan do you recommend as I am sure I have the "old" one and if I am going to upgrade I would probably go to the i7 one.

Are some RAM's better than others (I mean in a noticable way)? Would it be worth it to also swap out all the RAM and upgrade to 4GB's all at once?

#12 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:57 PM

The E6700 is a LGA 775 socket. The i7s are either LGA 1366 or 1156. Your motherboard does not support any of the i series.
This is the best one possibly supported by your motherboard: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650.
Even then, socket type does not guarantee compatibility.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#13 IPT

IPT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:17 PM

you guys have been awesome, thanks. Looks to me like for the cost vs improvement ratio I should probably either build up a new system (I have a Dell Dimensions 8200 (I think) tower from the system before this one maybe I can use as the frame) or just buy a new system all together.

Rainbow - if the socket is compatible there still could be an issue? How would I know? Going from 2.66GHz to 3.0 GHz seems like it would make for a noticable improvement.

Okay, so here is the stupid question. If I build a new (or buy a new) system and I install/use the old C-Drive (hard drive right?) will my old programs run, or do I need to re-install them?

Edited by IPT, 06 July 2010 - 10:19 PM.

#14 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

How would I know?

Try to find what was originally offered as options for that model. You also might need to update your BIOS, depending on the chip in question.

EDIT:
As it turns out, your motherboard does not even support quad-core processors. It only supports Pentium 4, Pentium D, and Core 2 Duo.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...s.htm#wp1104326

Edited by RainbowSix, 06 July 2010 - 10:44 PM.

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#15 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:12 AM

You can put your old hard drive in your new system, you will have to change it from primary(master) to slave, you wont be able to take your old harddrive and use it as the master drive on a new system, there will be issues, as far as booting from it goes. Running your programs will work, just access like you would when u add an external drive, it will show up in My Computer.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users