Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound Once Computer Starts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kevinroche

kevinroche

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:02 PM

I'm using an Asus VX1 laptop, running Windows XP w/ Service Pack 3 and my soundcard is a SoundMAX HD Audio O. Recently, I haven't been able to hear any sound from the computer once it starts. I've unplugged my speaker system to narrow the problem to just the built-in laptop speakers and have checked the volume setting in Windows to confirm nothing is muted. When I first power on the computer, I hear the default Asus startup sound come out of the speakers, but once I log in to Windows I'm unable to play any sounds (even the Windows start-up sound doesn't play). I think it was working before the last Windows Automatic Update occurred which was "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982524)." I'm happy to provide any further details that may help, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

Try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307918
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 kevinroche

kevinroche
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

Thanks! That page directed me to run Microsoft's Fix It Center and that resolved the issue.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:34 PM

:thumbsup:
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users