Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

video card to hook computer to hdmi 50"tv

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 riverview9

riverview9

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

we upgraded tv and computer and bought a dvi (digital +analog) to hdmi cable. but it won't work. i think our video card must not be good enough. what video card should i get with a hdmi port. we have pci express. i don't know too much about this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

For the most part, I tend to stick with ATI cards for HTPC use. Their audio decode is just plain better than NVidia and supports more formats which is a lifesaver when using the audio on the HDMI. Some of NVidia's cards still rely on the motherboards SPDIF connector for audio out (unsure of their audio decode on their latest and greatest models), and that can be problematic as all motherboards don't support full 5.1/7.1 out vis SPDIF with DVD/Blu-Ray/games.

Low end, a 56XX series with 512 meg DDR5 minimum. It has enough horsepower to do the DVD/Blu-Ray decodes and post processing. You can find a 5670 for ~$70 if you look around and watch for specials.

Full bore top end card, a 5870 if you need to play demanding games. Problem with big cards is power draw. More power = bigger power supply and more heat which is why I am partial to 56XX cards as they don't need any addiltional power besides the PCI-E slot and they are short enough to fit in almost any case.

The above is my opinion, and I could be wrong.

Edited by dpunisher, 05 July 2010 - 08:27 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 cloneranger19

cloneranger19

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:59 AM

I suggest you to buy ATI 5870 graphics card. very nice performance. and it gaming support was awesome.and i think it full feel your all need. try it.

#4 riverview9

riverview9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

thanks.i bought one online

#5 riverview9

riverview9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

so i bought the card and followed the instuctions to install it and nothing hapens. nothing appears on the tv. i guess its possible that the card or the cable are defective but not likely. i have a panasonic viera 50" and i'm running xp on my desktop. what am i missing here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users