Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Flash Drive assignment letter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 markg2

markg2

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

OS=XP

2 questions:

1. I inserted a Cruzer SD drive into an open USB port. The computer assigns the drive the letter K. I wish for the drive to be assigned G. The Cruzer is already in the uppermost of two USB ports. Is there a way I can force XP to call the Cruzer G instead of K?

2. Someone had apparently inserted and removed a USB flash drive several times on this same computer without properly closing and ejecting the device. As a result, XP had cycled through the alphabet to the next available letter. I had set a third party backup program to go to a particular drive letter. I know that I could (and did) reboot the computer allowing the computer to recognize that the drive letters it thought were in use were not and for the computer to then reorder all available drive letters. However IS THERE a way to force XP, without rebooting, to reset available drive letters? Clicking on my computer in explorer and hitting the View/Refresh does not work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

You can reset them yourself manually, using Device Manager. If a letter is already in use, you cannot use it...unless you change it to something else that is not in use.

I start at the end of the alphabet and assign drive letters to storage partitions. C: is the system partition by default, D: is the optical drive by default...anything between D: and the latter characters of the alphabet will be assigned letters E:, etc.

Aside from doing a repair install or something similar...I don't know of a way to force an automatic reassignment of letters.

Louis

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:39 PM

See if this might be of use to you, markg2.
Create permanent folders and share over a network
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 markg2

markg2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

I tried the suggestion and following the instructions as best as I understood, the process didn't work. The latter part of the instruction instructs to create a New Folder on 'the drive'. The instruction does not say on what drive the new folder is to be created. I 'assumed' the location would be on the flash drive but that drive letter was not an option so I placed the folder on C:

Have you looked at this thing?

#5 markg2

markg2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestion to re-assign the drive letter. The problem is less reassigning than having that letter STICK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users