Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What the heck is Firefox doing ???

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheEgg

TheEgg

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

Today I just noticed a new procesess in windows task manager.

plugin-container.exe

I looked it up and it says it has something to do with preventing firefox from crashing or something. Ok, but its using over 20,000 (currently 37,844) k of memory (or whatever). This looks stupid. Am I right or wrong?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

Hello TheEgg.

the process you refer to is indeed part of Firefox v3.4 or later.

I'm not entirely sure of all the specifics, but it essentially separates things such as Flash and other plugins from the main Firefox executable, so that in the event one of those experiences a critical error it will not cause the entire web browser to crash. Computationally intensive media (flash movies for example) based on one of these plugins can explain the high memory usage.

Hope that helps.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 TheEgg

TheEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

Firefox crashing is such a rare occurrence for me. Not enough to warrant such a resource hog. This should, at the very least, be optional. I may need to look into downgrading.

Edited by TheEgg, 05 July 2010 - 06:07 PM.

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

TheEgg,

Many threads on plugin-container.exe over at the Firefox Forums.

It is not a resource hog. It separates out the resources used by the plugins. If you look at the Virtual Memory use of Firefox prior to this....it is the same as when you now add the VM of Firefox and the VM of plugin-container.exe together.

To disable, see here - viewtopic.php?p=9530495#p9530495

How to disable plugin-container.exe

I've just tested Firefox's memory usage with plugin-container.exe enabled/disabled and the above quote seems pretty correct.

#5 TheEgg

TheEgg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:46 PM

***Post Of The Thread*** ^^^

Thats what I thought I read. If, together, they are using the same resources as firefox was before, then I won't complain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users