Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start, w00t

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chaos_Seer

Chaos_Seer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:02 PM

Similar to ScottRecinos problem (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic329269.html) but worse. He at least gets a ""Dos-like" apology screen that says Windows did not start correctly and offering to re-try using several methods."

Basically, my computer passes the boot cycle. Then the screen goes black for a second, the little DOS cursor blinks in the corner twice and my computer restarts.

I've tried using a system disc to repair my XP, as well as install another OS on the HDD (in another partition) but it hasn't changed the boot cycle. Obviously this means it'll successfully boot off other pieces, just not the HDD. Tried moving to another SATA port, but it didn't change anything.

So, I'd gotten some malware about a week or two ago. My AVG and anti-spyware software couldn't find it, and although I could find the process file and delete it, it would come back. I did a google search on it but nothing turned up. I just kinda let it go unattended. A couple nights ago, there were new process running. I found out at, like, 2 in the morning so I set AVG to scan and went to sleep. I woke up and I couldn't open any programs, nor the task manager. I opened an explorer window, but it didn't change much so I restarted my computer. That's when I found it it wouldn't go on again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

You cannot boot into safe mode?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Chaos_Seer

Chaos_Seer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:28 PM

No, can't load in safe mode. It doesn't even get to that point. It finishes booting, hangs for a moment, then restarts, basically.

I know my motherboard is ASUS, running with an AMD processor from a couple years ago. 4600+ maybe. Can't remember much more about that.

#4 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

Sorry for the delay. Do you still desire help? I would like you to create a boot disc with you Windows XP install disc so I can help try to get you booting again.

Please do this...

Let's try to boot your computer using an Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (UBCD4win).

Please print this guide for future reference!

First we have to make one. Please follow the steps below and let me know if you were successful. If you were unable to create the UBCD4win, please tell me what error messages you got and/or what steps you got hung up on.

1. Download and Run Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double-Click on the UBCD4Win.EXE that you just downloaded to your desktop.
  • Follow all of the instructions/prompts that come up.
    NOTES:
    • Do not install to a folder with spaces in it's name.
    • Your Anti-Virus may report viruses or trojans when you extract UBCD4Win, these are "False-Positives." Read HERE for information regarding the files that normally trigger AV software.
2. Insert your XP CD with SP1/SP2/SP3 into a CD Rom drive
  • Double-Click on UBCD4WinBuilder.exe located in your C:\ubcd4win folder.
  • Click "I agree" to the Builders License.
  • Click NO to Search for Windows Installation Files
  • Make the following selections from the Main Screen that pops up:
    • Builder
      • Source:(path to Windows installation files)
        • Enter the path to the drive where your XP CD is located.
        • You can click on the "..." button on the right to navigate to the path as well.
      • Custom: (include files and folders from this directory)
        • No information is necessary, leave blank.
      • Output: (C:\ubcd4win\BartPE)
        • Keep the default BartPE
    • Media output
      • Choose Create ISO image
      • Do not choose Burn to CD/DVD
        Please note: If your XP install disc is SP1 then please .....
        1. Disable- DComLaunch Service
        2. Enable- LargeIDE Fix

This can be done by pressing the "Plugin" button and checking or unchecking the appropriate selections
      Also note: If you have a Dell XP install disc you will need to follow the instructions here
      http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm#dell
    3. Click on the "Build" button
    • You will see the Windows EULA message. Click on I Agree
    • You will now see the Build Screen. Let it run it's course
    • When the Build is finished you can click close, then exit
    4. Burn your ISO file to CD
    • Please see HERE on how to burn an ISO to CD.
    ==========

1. Restart Your sick Computer Using the UBCD4Win Disc That You Have Created
    • Insert the UBCD4Win disc in to one of your CD/DVD drives.
    • Restart your computer.
      • The computer should choose to boot from the UBCD4Win CD automatically. If it doesn't and you are asked if you want to boot from CD, then choose that option.
    • If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
      • Restart your PC
      • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
      • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
      • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
      • The tab should now show your current boot order.
        If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
      • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
    • Your PC should now boot from your CD.
      Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• In the window that pops up select Launch The Ultimate Boot CD For Windows and press Enter.
      • It may take a little longer for the Desktop to appear than it does when you start your computer normally. Just let the process run itself until the desktop appears.
    • Once the desktop appears, you will receive a message asking: Do you want to start Network support?
      • Click on NO
    • You should now have a desktop that looks like this:
    Let me know when your booted.

Kind regards,
    ~ t
    Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
    Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#5 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
    • 14,790 posts
    •  
    • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:09 AM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic
    Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
    Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users