Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Xp To Finish Booting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Quimbly

Quimbly

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:47 AM

Hi all,
I can't get my XP system to finish booting. BIOS is ok, everything is recognized, the initial black Windows XP screen comes up, then, the two-tone, striped blue Windows screen comes up. Normally the system just logs me in after this screen. Now, however, the system just hangs. The hard drive lights turn off and the system is frozen -- it won't even respond to me pressing the cycle power button.

The background is that this drive was ghosted over from a working hard drive using Norton Ghost 9. I did the backup from the Windows application, not from a floppy. I got no errors, and it looked as if everything was fine. Then, I went ahead and installed a RAID controller, and set that up. As it turns out, it copied the crappy version of the hard drive onto the working one, and now I'm stuck with two hard drives that won't boot!

I've tried booting in safe mode; it gets me to the exact same point and then freezes the same. I've tried restoring to the "last good" configuration, and that also gave me the same results. Following some other suggestions I found online, I made backups of each of:
C:\Windows\System32\Config\System
C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software
C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam
C:\Windows\System32\Config\default

and replaced them with:
C:\Windows\Repair\Config\System
C:\Windows\Repair\Config\Software
C:\Windows\Repair\Config\Sam
C:\Windows\Repair\Config\default

This didn't work either.

Any thoughts on what the heck is going on and how I can fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 02:37 AM

I had this problem at home and it turned out to be a corrupt pagefile, but this was located on a 2nd hdd so all I did was disconnected my other ide drive and the PC then booted. However this can also be a sign that the hdd is failing, run your hdd manufacturers diagnostic tool on the drive.

If yours is on a single drive then you will need to run chkdsk, as you can't boot you have two options.

UBCD4Win will give you a bootable CD rom which has chkdsk on or the smaller download option NTFS4Dos will give you a floppy boot CD that has chkdsk.

Alternatively you may need to do a repair install.

However your problem may be related to something else, but the above is a good starting point.

#3 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:32 AM

Hi there,

It might also be down to a corrupted boot.ini file in which the following will help:

Repair the boot.ini file

Put in your XP cd.
boot off of it.
Press r to enter the command console
type in:
cd \ (enter)
edit boot.ini (enter)
try deleting the /safeboot option

You could also try running Chkdsk from the Recovery Console:

Go to recovery console,
and do a checkdisk.

To go to recovery console:
*Boot up from WinXP CD
*When the setup is loaded, press "r" to enter recovery console
*Press 1 for the setup number then hit ENTER
*Enter the Administrative password

To do a check disk:
*At the screen type this: "chkdsk X: /F" where "X" is your drive letter.

Big Smiles

HS

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:43 AM

I think that I would try using the Recovery Console.

The fixmbr command repairs corrupt MBRs, which will prevent the system from booting.

Using Fixmbr - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

The fixboot command is another that may be helpful.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...ns_fixboot.mspx

Louis

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:07 AM

A ghost image is exactly what is on ONE computer, containing settings and drivers particular to it alone and is not applicable to others which have different settings and peripherals as well as proprietary code written into them.

The idea behind ghost is that you create an exact image of your own computer and store it to use on that computer alone if a problem arises.

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 October 2005 - 03:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users