Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unspecified error 0x8000ffff preventing bootup, recovery & reinstall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sarah.jane

sarah.jane

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:11 PM

I have a very curly problem that has me stumped. Over the last couple of weeks I have been experiencing unexplained shut downs in Windows 7 on my Alienware M-9700 portable desktop. Before yesterday I was able to just hit the start button & it would reboot without trouble so I really didn't give it much thought at the time.

Then yesterday it happened again as I was visiting a website I had visited many times in the past without issue. At the same time I was online, I was running Avi Recomp, an AVI file compressor in the background. I didn't give it much thought until after I pressed the start button & as Win 7 was in the process of booting up the system shut down and the computer turned itself off. I tried a number of times to get it to reboot in normal mode with success. I ended up pressing F8 so I could go restart Win 7 in safe mode. No problem with that at all.

Once there I was able to run Win 7 in safe mode with internet access, I ran Spybot, AdAware & AVG 9 to make sure that I didn't have any bugs, bots or malware on my system. All reported a clean system. I then ran TweakNow reg cleaner to make sure there were no reg problems there either. I tried rebooting in normal mode again with the same result. I went back to safe mode and looked at the error logs & that's when I discovered that this was not the first time the computer has had this problem.

The error messages are as follows:

Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "" in order to run the server:

The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:
The dependency service or group failed to start.

While I realize this isn't much to go on, as I do not have the expertise to interpret the data, I did get on the internet to try & find a solution with no luck. Since then, I have tried doing a system recovery with older and older dates. I have tried using my installation disk I have tried to repair the system. Then I tried recovering Win 7 from an image file on my back up hard drive. Then I tried to reformat the hard drive & windows 7 from my installation disk. Each time the result is the same. When I try to reboot in normal mode, the monitor flickers once or twice as it boots up then I get the BSOD and the system shuts down and the computer turns off.

After that I removed my secondary 250Gb hard drive & replaced it with one containing Win XP and there was no boot up problems whatsoever. So I know it's not a machine problem. I've run check disk & file checkers on the 250Gb with Win 7 to verify there are no disk errors or file errors and they come back clean as well. I'm pretty sure it's not a hard drive problem either since it boots up fine in safe mode which is where I'm composing this posting.

I've run the spyware removal tool from Malwarebytes with a clean result. I've downloaded HijackThis from Trend Micro and made a copy of the log files as well as the start up files for any who might be able to help. I'll also have the boot log once I reboot again.

I think I've just about covered everything I can think of that I've done as I tried to recover my system & go back to a normal boot sequence. I'm sure I've missed a few things but at this point my head hurts & I'm done for now. I hope someone here can help me sort this out so i can have my computer back.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:45 AM

How new is this computer? If its relatively new. I would return it to the Alienware and see if they can fix it while its still under warranty. Have you updated all your drivers in Windows 7 accordingly?

#3 sarah.jane

sarah.jane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, the warranty on my computer just expired ... I know , go figure.

On top of that Alienware will not offer any software support if I did not purchase Windows 7 directly from them so I'm pretty much out of luck with them. Even then, their support is really not very good since Dell has taken control of things. In fact it's really pretty mediocre now.

I've tried just about every suggestion I've found online and in various Win 7 support sites and nothing has worked so far. I've about reached the end of my patience with this problem and my frustration levels continue to rise.

I'm at the point where I think my best option is to back up everything as best I can, wipe the partition, reformat and then do a clean reinstall of Win 7, followed by a system restore from an image file I made a month ago before all my troubles began.

If that doesn't solve the problem I'm not sure what I'll do. I really don't have the money to pay someone $60 an hour or more to try and put things right. If anyone else has any suggestions, I would gladly welcome them.

Thanks.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

You can do the full install and backup from an older system image, that has worked well with me, you'll have to install all your programs again, because those won't be there when your done loading the system image, but everything else will work and be there as well.
The reason your programs won't be there is because the executables have to install various dll files references to such and registry keys, and those have to be re-registered (to use a term that is easier to understand.)

Since your system has suddenly stopped booting into windows with all drivers loaded, you may have a corrupted driver, a BIOS setting that changed, or your processor's heat sink or cooling fan is clogged with dust or lint.

Try using compressed air to blow out the laptop through the vent holes, you may have to enter the laptop to do a through cleaning.

A BIOS setting may have been changed, sometimes entering the BIOS and choosing fail-safe or best configuration will correct an incorrect BIOS setting.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 sarah.jane

sarah.jane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for the advice & the suggestions. I'll have a look at the BIOS once I'm done running the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool just to be safe.

The one thing that worries me is if a driver is corrupt, which driver is it? How can I know if a driver is corrupt before I install it & I end up right back where I am now?. Any suggestions? I really don't want to do this all over again.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:03 AM

Do not install programs from web sites that offer BETA drivers. Those might contain bugs.

Be sure your installation disks are clean before using them to install software.

Do not install multible software or hardware drivers all at one time, allow time to test each new install, so if something goes wrong, you have no doubt, which program caused a problem

Make sure you create restore points before installing programs.

Do not use registry cleaners or anything that makes changes to the registry.

Follow those simple rules and you should be ok. :huh:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

Are you still there? Do you still desire help? Do you have your Windows 7 DVD?
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

#8 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:24 PM

I am slowly learning... I've had an issue with this same error code since yesterday. For me, I was completely unable to boot into safe mode to attempt repairs, so I used the Windows CD to boot, and attempted Startup Repair. I was repeatedly told that the repair could not be completed due to unspecified error 0x8000ffff. I tried going through all of my restore points, with no success.

Then, I got on my crappy lappy and did a Google search for it, and scrolled through the results until I found the one that had been posted here. I smacked myself in the forehead, rebooted into the BIOS, and set it for the default fail-safe configuration. Windows booted up perfectly, and the system restore I had been trying to complete did its thing. All is now well in my corner of the cyber universe. :)

One day, I will learn that when I have a computer issue, I can simply ignore Google, relax and don't try to figure it all out on my own - just get my butt to this site and look for help. I've found that pretty much 99.5% of the questions I may have can be satisfactorily answered on this site.

You guys are awesome! :D

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users