Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with Homeplug

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 harmin5288

harmin5288

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

Hi guys, this is my very first post here and I did search for this, but could not find the right answer.

So, I have i had dsl previously for internet and using homeplug for the STB. I used the qwest (dsl provider) wireless modem/router and had one end of the homeplug plugged there and the other unit at the STB downstairs. Everything was working fine. My laptop was flyin' via the wireless, tv was good, phone was good (vonage).

I switched to Comcast (cable interent) for the higher speed (18MB). I now have a LinkSys/Cisco router from my comcast cable modem. On one of the ports, i put the homeplug device in and the second unit is downstairs. This time i have the homeplug running to my Blu-Ray for Netflix and other widgets on the Blu-Ray.

The main problem I am having is that when the Homplug is connect to Blu-Ray, even if the Blu-Ray is off AND unplugged, my wireless connection goes to hell, in fact, even my desktop that is hard wired to the router is slow for interent. As soon as i unplug the homeplug cable from router, connection is good.

Basically, when homeplug is plugged in, my internet speed goes way down. This has never happened before. So I would like to know is there some settings I can access from my network to adjust, or do you think the homeplug may have just gone bad over time.

Also, is there a way that I can check the speed of the homplug connection. Should I plug my homeplug into my laptop downstairs and go to a speed test site, or is there a better way?

Also, do you think it is slow because even though the blu ray is off, the homeplug is constantly sending info?

I am not really sure how to do all the dos command to check ip stuff, but I am running Vista on my Laptop.

Also the homeplug i am using is HomePlug Wave 85Mbps.

Thanks guys,

Harmin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 harmin5288

harmin5288
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:45 PM

also, i don't have any software for the homeplug adaptors. Do i need the software, I thought it was just plug and play?

#3 homenet

homenet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

Since it worked before and now even wired ethernet connections are affected when homeplug is on, my guess is that the modem is sensitive to noise being generated by HomePlug - possibly coming in through the power supply. Try moving the homeplug physically away from the modem, plugging it into a different outlet, or using a power strip with a filter for the modem (I don't think HomePlug will work through a filter). Also, since the HomePlug operates over powerline at fairly high power levels, maybe it is not working correctly and is affecting the modem or maybe the modem is just sensitive. The products are supposed to be tested and certified (is yours?) but it's possible the test misses something or wasn't done correctly. I doubt much is going on over homeplug when the bluray is off so my first guess is noise as above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users