Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home Prem & Floppy Drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pcklutz

pcklutz

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:49 PM

Does Vista Home Premium SP2 not support USB floppy drives?

I have a Samsung SFD-321U/HP USB FDD that I have used in several computers for years without any problem. Even worked in an employer's laptop (when I worked there) running Vista Enterprise. My new laptop says it cannot find the driver although the FDD is correctly identified in Device Manager. Samsung Support redirects me to a pay site called Driver Wizard.

Why use a FDD? I have an expensive engineering program that has to be initialized and uninitialized with a key disk.

By the way, when in the Windows Vista forum, searching for floppy takes one out of that forum and comes up with posts having nothing to do with FDDs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Retirednow

Retirednow

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:25 AM

I have an USB external floppy drive that I plug into my 32 bit Vista Home Premium laptop and it loads the drive just fine. Vista had the drivers for it. I did nothing but plug it in to the laptop.

#3 pcklutz

pcklutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:39 AM

Retirednow

My new laptop has 64 bit Vista Home Prem on it. Probably all previous computers that accepted my USB FDD were 32 bit machines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users