Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP won't complete start-up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ScottRecinos

ScottRecinos

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:51 PM

My desktop is in an endless "do-loop" of trying to start Windows XP, the start-up abruptly stopping with a blue "dos-like" screen quickly flashing before the computer goes into a new hard boot up mode that results in the Windows "Dos-like" apology screen that says Windows did not start correctly and offering to re-try using several methods. I've tried "start Windows Normally" which is the "do-loop" default (i.e. after time out); "Safe Mode" and Last Known Good Configuration" and the results are all the same. I have the orginal system recovery CD/DVD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 angstfeardoubt

angstfeardoubt

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:57 PM

You might just have encountered a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). Turn off the system, turn it back on and hit F8 repeatedly until it goes to Windows Advanced Options. Select "Disable automatic restart". The computer should stop booting once it reaches the Blue Screen. Post the message that you'll receive (specially the Technical information part).

With that, we should be able to get an idea on what's causing the trouble.

#3 ScottRecinos

ScottRecinos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for your help! Error meesage below

A problem has been detected and wondows has shout down to prevent damage

UNMOUNTABLE_BOTT_VOLUME

Several paragraphgs of what appear to be generic instructions

Technical Information
***STOP:0x000000ED (0x83500030, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,095 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:32 PM

Reference: Unmountable Boot Volume - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Generally speaking...running chkdsk /r command from the XP Recovery Console...overcomes this.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#5 angstfeardoubt

angstfeardoubt

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:36 PM

"Unmountable Boot Volume" points to a problem with the hard drive. Either there are corrupted boot files or that a sector of your hard drive has already been damaged and the computer can no longer read the information off it.

This problem may or may not be fixed(if the hard drive has already gone bad).

Here's a possible solution:

1. Insert your Windows XP disk in your CD/DVD drive.
2. Boot to the CD/DVD drive. If done successfully, you'll receive a "Press any key to boot to CD" message. Press any key. It should now load the installation files for Windows.
2. The next screen should provide you options to repair Windows using Recovery Console or Install Windows. Press "R" to go to Recovery Console.
3. It may ask you for an Admin password, type your password then hit Enter. If not, just proceed to the instruction below.
4. Type chkdsk /p on the Command Prompt then hit Enter. It will now proceed to scan your computer for possible bad areas and will attempt to fix them. Wait for it to finish.
5.Type fixboot then press Enter. This will attempt to fix the Boot Volume. If it prompts you, type "Y" (Yes) then press Enter to continue. Wait for it to finish.
6. Type exit then press Enter to let the computer exit the Recovery Console and restart. Let the computer start normally.

HTH.

#6 ScottRecinos

ScottRecinos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

The computer doesn't seem to recognize the Windows XP CD exists. It's doing it's re-boot "do loop" again

I'm now being prompted for a "emachines system recovery" option where I have about 5 seconds to type "R" or it reverts to the "dos-like" aplogizing for windows not starting up correctly.

Thanks

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

The Emachines recovery is basically a factory reset. It means all data gets wiped and windows will be as it was when you purchased the computer.

Does the CD drive make a spinning noise? Does the CD get recognized by other computers?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#8 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

Make sure your CD-ROM drive is set as the 1st boot device.

#9 ScottRecinos

ScottRecinos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

I gave up trying to get the computer to recognize the CD so I did a systems restore, which appears to be successful. There are about 140 "windows updates", which I'm now working my way through. So far so good.

Thanks

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

I am glad to hear you got this sorted out. :thumbsup:

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users