Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Lag Spikes in Online games (Latency)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DeadEye211

DeadEye211

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:40 AM

Hi I was wondering if this was the right place to ask this, since I've been having problems with latency with my internet in online games, namely on the STEAM program. I'll be playing in a game and I'll have decent latency of about 40-50 but then either a few seconds or minutes later it will spike to 1000 - 2000 latency for like 2 seconds than go back down.. and this is constant, it will stop sometimes but it will always start up again. I'm not sure if this is a virus problem or what, I've already scanned my computer and everything and it just affects my online gaming, it just gets frustrating playing an FPS game and then all of a sudden lagging for a split second and then being killed. A little help or insight on this problem would be nice, thank you.

I am also using Windows XP 32-bit

Edited by DeadEye211, 05 July 2010 - 11:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 angstfeardoubt

angstfeardoubt

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:12 PM

Do you have any background programs which might be hogging your resources? Do you use any internet related programs such as P2P applications? Try disabling all startup programs and non-essential services, reboot, try your game and see if it helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users