Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Setup has detected that another program requires the computer to reboot..."

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ippudo

ippudo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:52 AM

UPDATE: Problem sorted! THANKS!

Hi guys,

I'm really glad I found this forum and hope you can help.

I was infected with AV Security Suite, ran all the recommended programs such as GMER, TDDS Killer, rkill and malwarebytes and my PC seems to be clean now. When I ran Combofix, I didn't manage to disable Avast!, so I decided to uninstall it. On re-installing the program, I repeatedly encountered the following prompt:

Setup has detected that another program setup requires the computer to reboot. You must reboot the computer before installing avast!. Once the system reboots, you need to restart setup. If you decide to continue, application may not work correctly. Do you want to continue?

Yes No

Of course I said no each time, and I'm now wondering what that "other program setup" could be. I disabled the Windows firewall, finished the Windows Update Manager, all to no avail. An Adobe Acrobat Reader Update icon that appears on my taskbar during startup seems kinda genuine (when I move the cursor over it or right click it actually says the name and I can close it, so I doubt that's the problem but I'm not sure. Any idea what that other program setup that requires the computer to reboot could be?

On the web I found the following help for this problem ("Modifying the Windows Registry"), but I don't want to mess with the registry unless absolutely necessary, even though I have done a back-up with ERUNT:

Method 1: Modify the Windows Registry
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

3. In the right pane, right-click PendingFileRenameOperations, and then click Delete.

Would you recommend this action?

Many thanks in advance,
Michael

EDIT: Moved from XP to Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

UPDATE: Problem sorted! THANKS!

Edited by ippudo, 05 July 2010 - 06:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users