Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee help please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deanrdj

deanrdj

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:01 AM

hi not sure if this is the right section but i hope you can help anyway, i've been running a music program on my pc for a few years now and since the last mcafee update (which nearly broke my computer) it keeps removing a file from it flagging it up as a trojan, i know for a fact that its a safe file but cant seem to find anywhere on mcafee to dtop it from removing it????
any help would be great
thanks

Dean

Edited by Orange Blossom, 05 July 2010 - 01:29 PM.
Move to AV forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

RE: Is There A Way to Whitelist Files?
hi eliang,

unfortunately with the home versions for mcafee there is no way to whitelist a file...

Quote from: http://community.mcafee.com/message/92630

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 deanrdj

deanrdj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

hmm, time to change security then i think...

cheers mate

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

deanrdj

You need to upload the file to McAfee from Quarantine. Then if they deem the file safe, they may email you an extra Dat file to cover the FP while you wait for them to fix it in the next signature update. Or if the file was originally flagged by McAfee's Artemis technology, it could be sorted even quicker.

Alternatively, you could restore the file from quarantine, register with Avert Labs, and upload the file there for analysis.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

If it is a false positive, then you should also contact and advise the vendor that their program is being detected as a threat. In many cases they will work with the anti-virus techs in an attempt to resolve the detection. Most anti-virus vendors have instructions for file submissions posted on their web sites as RedDawn advised. Once a file is received, a technician can examine it in more detail and provide a report letting you know the results.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users