Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

hi ... finally upgraded to SP3 as support will be ending for SP2. Now when it asks me to install Internet Explorer 8, I uncheck the option, click close. put check in next message box to "don't notify me about these updates again" click close.

then it's the same routine for Internet Explorer 7 which I decline.

i have done this four times. why is the info not being saved that i do not want the IE upgrade.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:26 AM

Try turning off automatic updates and then use manual/custom options for all MS updates when you go to Windows update.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 caperdog

caperdog
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:01 PM

thanks chewy, i'll give that a hook.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

For the sake of security, it's wise to have IE8 installed even if you never use IE yourself for any reason. IE is an integral part of Windows, and the OS inherits its vulnerabilities. IE6 has unpatched vulnerabilities, the cure for which is IE8 in which these vulnerabilities do not exist.

From Secunia:

"The most severe unpatched Secunia advisory affecting Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x, with all vendor patches applied, is rated Moderately critical"

http://secunia.com/advisories/product/11/
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users